HELLLLLP! LAMPING WITH GUN

Hi Mortsi pal,

In your thread mate you said that you have been out a couple of times but haven’t got anything.

Does this mean that you have seen the rabbits but have missed them when shooting, or that you have not seen any buddy?

If you haven’t seen any then I think a change of location is your answer pal. If this is the case then maybe another local regular on here can take you out on his / her permission?

I have done a bit of lamping in my time buddy and know a little bit about it and I hope that this advice helps you some what.

If you have seen rabbits but missed them, I think that you have to look at the following to check to see if you put ticks in the boxes:

1. Has your combo been check zeroed lately? This might sound silly but a number of shooters I know from old would go out with me and miss all night due to thinking that their combo was still zeroed from the last time they shot a rabbit, (3 weeks previously prior to being banged about in the back of their car). The lads I shoot with now are top lads and we always check our zero every time no matter what before we go out and shoot live vermin.

2. Are you trying to shoot at rabbits that are further away than you are capable of accurately hitting every time? Something that is no bigger than about 1.5 inches worst case is the size I would say is a correct mate. Anything further and I would say that you are asking for misses or even worse wounded rabbits.

3. Have you got a dimmer switch attached to your lamp, or a coloured filter? Sometimes rabbits will not like white light and won’t sit for a humane shot to take place. A red or green filter works a treat for lamp shy rabbits. Try and use the least amount of light possible to shoot the rabbit. The less light you use the more of a chance the rabbit will sit for your shot. Don’t listen to those who say use 1 million candle powers to daze and startle the rabbits into sitting for your shot. That sort of thing only works from time to time with a strong wind, and hardly ever. Use a brighter setting on your lamp to spot the rabbits in the filed then stalk to the rabbits with a dim light. Check for other rabbits close by before retrieving the shot rabbit. Sometimes rabbits will sit together and sometimes you don’t see them straight away, Use a hand torch to find and retrieve the shot rabbits. This saves your own lamp power.

4. Make sure that you walk into the wind when stalking or the rabbits will be gone before you get within 50 metres of them.

5. Try to lamp on really dark nights when there is no moon and a bit of wind and rain. Wait until it’s really late or very early in the morning to lamp and hunt mate. The rabbits will then be in the middle of the fields and if you use the wind will be within 20 metres of them before they hear you coming. By this time they will lay down and flatten themselves trying to hide rather than run giving you a easier shot (depending on your own shooting ability).

6. Recce your permission well in the day time as things look different at night and distances look very different to what they actually are in reality at night.

7. Use a laser as a distance guide at night. Used correctly it will improve your bag by 100%.

Best wishes in your next hunt

Zini