bunny experts??

Hello guys, was hoping to pick the brains of the bunny experts if I may!!??

Am very new to this snaring lark, but am very determined to knowledge up, improve, and become a skilled practitioner. Have had a little success so far with fence snares so far.

Wanted to ask whether it is a good idea to stick with the fence snares until a decent level of success is attained, or whether it’s worth starting on the pegged snares already??

Also, something I haven’t been able to find out anywhere else, do multiple rabbits use the same runs? I.e if I catch a rabbit on a certain run, should this snare be kept in position for subsequent ill fated bunnies? Also, how long dshould i leave my snares, untouched by rabbits, in position before moving them?? (feel that I am still not too skilled in reading the runs as yet!!)

sorry for my lack of knowledge and thank you for any responses guys!

Sean.

Peg wires are as easy to set as fencewires in my experience, if not easier. The only thing that can be more tricky is reading the runs. Multiple bunnies will use the same run.

If you can get out with someone experienced it will help no end. Whereabouts in the country are you, there might be someone local to you.

James

a quick additional question then to settle an arguement between my brother and me, is it good practice to set snares on the entrance and exit points that rabbits make through a hedgerow?? i would of thought i would be as effective as fence snaring wouldnt it? as long as its tight in against the hedge and hidden enough??

Hi mate set your snares in the field away from the hedge,if you set near to the hedge rabbits that have got caught will put other rabbits off from venturing out.

Also more then 1 rabbit will use a run so if possible set a few snares on a run.

As you can see from this pic i am taking a rabbit out of a snare and in the foreground there is a rabbit in a snare,they was both snared on the same run.

DSCF0363.jpg

Hello and thank you mr teapot! am alway impressed at how helpfull and forthcoming people are on this forum!

My problem is that im on the edge ( approx 7' wide) of a barley field, which means obviously i dont want to follow the rabbits into the field myself, as i may end up doing as much damage to the crop as the rabbits as the year gos on!!

am also aware that snaring too near the hedge itself may be problematic, as the rabbits will either be sitting and looking for danger and the n avoiding the snares or will feel safe up against the hedge and so limp along slowly, and so not bolting blindly into the snare!!

Set the snares slightly lower than 6 1/2" around the hedgelines, field margins, headlands whatever..... You will catch rabbits, expecially through runs in hedges, a lot of well worn runs are very clear with all this wet weather now also... Same as you can set snares around warrens outside their holes and in woodland...