Hi,

I have a pair of terrier pups primrialy for ferreting and was thinking about doing a bit of minking in the summer. I have read the hunting act but am a bit unsure about the legallity of hunting mink with dogs. I have permission to work my dogs on suitable land. Can anybody give me advise on the law relating to this. I used to hunt mink along time ago with a small boddery pack and found it was a good way to keep the dogs keen during the summer lay off.

thanks

Simon

Same as any hunting mate,except for rats and rabbits where you can use any amount of dogs to hunt and kill.You can use any amount of dogs to search for a scent,once the quarry knows it's being hunted :hmm: (there's the silly bit)then you can only use 2 dogs to flush to a gun.You can use any amount of dogs to flush to a hawk though,how many dogs?? that is up to you but thats how i'd be doing it and all within the law :thumbs: .

Thanks for the info,

I have read the "ACT" a couple of times but failed to make sense of it in relation to mink. I think I had best leave the mink alone to do their damage and hunt "rats" on the rivers and streams in the summer when it comes.

I have just read the pinned topic at the top of the forum and this explains it in a terms which I understand thanks role on the summer

Edited by porkypowell

Thanks for the info,

I have read the "ACT" a couple of times but failed to make sense of it in relation to mink. I think I had best leave the mink alone to do their damage and hunt "rats" on the rivers and streams in the summer when it comes.

I have just read the pinned topic at the top of the forum and this explains it in a terms which I understand thanks role on the summer

As you just hunting the two dogs... take a gun, and have some fun! :clapper:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

What Dachs is that and how do you find them at work other than mink?

Cheers.

Its a short haired dachs, from working lines, but he's actually to big.

They shouldnt be more than 9 kg, mine is about 12,5.

I've shot mink, pine marten, fox, roe deer, ferral cat for him, hes also very good as a tracking dog on deer.

He's best as a "earth dog" on mink, pine marten and fox. But he will also chase roe deer, red deer and fox from 0,5 to 2,5 hours.

Dachs is a very popular breed for roe deer hunting in Norway and Sweden, some hunters also use them as earth dog for badger.