new to digging

Hi ALL,

Might be gettting a first dig 4 me and the dog soon (as soon as we can get about in this snow) and I want to know if you lads who dig would rcommend doing some practice digging as I have never done much spade work before and I don't want to handicap the dog or look like a fanny. I have seen boys diggging at fairs etc abnd it looks tough - I am generally fit but like most things digging seem quite specific in terms of it's own fitness requirements. As always no piss takers, sesibl replies only please.

very sensible approach mate.......ive never been fox digging before,ratting is my thing and i have an awesome little ratting plummer,i want to try also with digging.my cousin and mate have been doing for years so i would simply NOT go unless with experienced guys and their dogs.fortunately they offered me along when weather permits soon,i cant wait, hope the dog enjoys it too....nice to see some responsible guys on here like yourself making sure it gets done right before messing up badly...good luck fella.

• Like 1

Just make sure you give yourself plenty space to work mate a nice square pit,...I remember the 1st hole I dug, I dug

like a mad man but now try to just stay calm n dig nice n steady! Good luck anyways and enjoy the buzz of that 1st

dig if it happens :victory:

Most people start off digging ferrets out of rabbit earths well before tackling foxes,its the same only ussually[not allways]on a bigger scale,if your dogs never done it how do you know its going to "stay"? nothing like a bit of confidence though its a good start.

Lets say it happens how you want it to ie,dog baying steadily and staying with his fox,wait until the dog is staying in one place[so you dont end up digging all over as the fox moves]im assuming youre using a locator?

Clear any branches/obsticles on the spot before you start digging,if the dogs 4ft deep you need at least a 3ft square hole,and as another poster said dont panic,dig steadily but with determination,keep the hole square all the way down to the "tube" and dont "break through" to the tube until you have a fairly clean pit above it[common mistake with begginers] when you break in be careful not to clout the dog,hopefully you are on top of the dogs head,as you do this earth will fill the tube as a rule and sometimes cut the dog off from his fox,quickly make your opening wider and clear some of the fallen earth from the tube,next dig a couple of scoups from the bottom of the tube[top tip] all the loose earth thats fallen in will fall into this small pit.

Your dog will come back and hopefully the fox will be just out of sight in a "block end" widen the entrance carefully and dig towards it making sure you give the dog room to "back up" as the fox comes at him,hopefully you shoot the fox humanly when you can see its head[holding the dog back so he doesnt get shot]if you arent shooting the fox you'll have 2 options,pin it[funny sight ussually with a new starter] or stand back from the dig and the fox will "come".

This scenario is pretty "text book" but it could happen,if youre lucky.

Best way to "pin" a fox? anybody?

• 2 weeks later...

first of all you you need some good tools at least 2 good spades with good strong shanks you dont want one to snap on you half why into the dig a graffter(draining shovel), pickaxe,big hervy bar the ones wid a point one end and chissle on tuther and a slasher to cut root in the dig and clearing scrub from were you want to dig i have a chainsaw in the jeep just in case you carry these tool in your car all the time you get to know what tool you ll need to take across the field wid you and its no big deal for someone to nip back to the car for more gear then you need a locator and nets when you approach the earth stop short and teather the terriers up and go and investergate for yourself prints four for a fox and five for a pig bits of hair , ginger zig zag fox, long course black and white badger, badgers kick and drag bedding in and out wid them and shit in little hole roundabout, fox will live in a set wid a badger once you are happy net up then go and get terrier cheak you locator and collar are working ok if you useing a deben m1 tape the cap on the collar up with insolation tape you dont want the cap to come off,loose or water to get into it then drop the terrier in sand back and wait a little wyle if the terrier comes out still keen cheek it for fur on craws or round its mouth or even a punture, smell it that will tell a story drop the terrier back in wait then start locating use your ere to the ground to, once you heve a perment fixture give the dog time to settle in with its quarry then start digging put the sod and topsoil out the way for when you backfill give yourself plenty of room to work hole wise there is an old saying dig deep throw well back so when you start digging throw it right back cause if you dont you ll wish you did when your digging dig it out in lairs keep the sides straite,keep cheeking with the locator and ear as you get closer to the dog and be a bit more carefull you dont want to stick a bar or shovle through the dog, have a good clean up then break through you should be right on top of the dog backfill the the hole or holes behind the dog so there is no escape if you have a baying terrier start to tunnel towards your quarry till you can dipatch it humainly backfill the hole clean and tidy as if no ones been there job done best of luck happy hunting

• Like 1