.410 shotgun

i have been offered a b/a .410 with 2" chambers, what are these guns like. do they have a shorter effective range? cheers in advance

Hi!

A .410 is just about the smallest useable shotgun you can get, (Yes there's 9MM Rimfire and .22 shotshells but these are only really for 'sparrows and rats' at less than 30 feet).

No a .410 is a .410, a 2" chamber only restricts you to 2" cartridges, clearly 3" cartridges have more room for extra shot, but that's all.

The good old .410 is only a short range vermin gun anyway, but the shot have the same velocity and killing power of a 12 bore, it's just there are far less of them.

Unless you have a specific need for a 'mini' shotgun, don't bother with the minor calibres i.e. .410 28Bore etc etc

Also a box of 25 x .410 shells will cost at least twice as much as a box of 25 x 12G shells, even though they are at least half the hitting power.

You be the Judge!!

AndyF

took this with my 'minor calibre' at 25-30 yards and killed it cleanly with 3" subsonic cartridge which are £6.50 per 25 so not cheap but not double the price, personally i would only use 2" carts for stuff within 10-15yrds but mainly rats or pigeons, but a .410 is not an inferior calibre infact it takes more skill to use one due to the small shot pattern so if you want a challenge get one but i personally would opt for one with atleast 21/2" chambers if your after rabbits mate

post-44196-126303624912_thumb.jpg

Edited by bicykillgaz

thanks, i think im going to hang on until i see a webley b/a .410 with 2 1/2 inch chambers, iv seen a few of these around going cheap! :thumbs:

mine's 3" chambered & with 3" mag No6 shot cartridges its a cracking little gun.

Edited by bairn79