Other advice I have seen is minimum 150gr expanding NOT fragmenting. They have very thick skin and fragmenting rounds can break up on impact.Biggest population in UK is in Herefordshire. World record weight was taken there, 518 lbs. We have a lot in Sussex, but they are very shy, almost entirely nocturnal, best taken lamping. It would be a very good idea for the guy with the lamp to have a back-up gun just in case. As I have said elsewhere, 5cwt of pissed off pig coming at you at 40mph with mayhem and murder in mind can take a lot of stopping. TAC 50BMG anyone?

Ric

edited to add www.britishwildboar.org.uk/-

Hello Ric, most of the boar in this area are in Gloucestershire(forest of dean) with a few over the border in Herefordshire,they have become quite shy and more nocturnal over the last couple of year's mainly because of poaching, we have shot seven this winter and out of those three of them had small caliber bullet's lodged in them!!!(found when skinned)

You definately need a heavy bullet to stop them i.e. large caliber,quite often the boar will run on but if you leave a couple mins after your shot they are normally easy enough to find!

Stando -

Yeah, Forest of Dean it is. My mistake. A further point to note is that the British boars have been outcrossed with domestic pigs to increase meat weight. The result is that although they are no longer genetically pure wild boar, they have become a lot heavier and developed hybrid vigour. Tough buggers. World record tusks also shot in Herefordshire. Do you skin 'em yourself? I thought game dealers liked 'em gralloched but in the skin?

Ric

Yes,i skin them myself if the estate want's the animal,but if they go to the game dealer i leave the skin on,the biggest problem we have is lifting the bloody things to transport them back to the larder then into the chiller,fallow are much easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi my mate shot this bad boy yesterday! i had no idea they were as big as this but he told me this isnt that big as they come much bigger, i asked him what sort of riffle! he recons he uses a 270 would you be able to use a 222? something ide like to have a go at!! cheers

G'day from Australia. Over in this part of the world where pigs are more common we use anything! .222 upwards. I have 1000+ grunters with a .223 55gn nosler ballistic tips. When walking up game in thick forest,swamps or lignum i use a heavier caliber as hydrolic shock goes a long way when shooting a charging wounded pig. Contrary to most peoples opinions they are not that bad a .223 will punch straight through both shoulders on animals up to 100kgs. But hey we catch with without guns and stick them with a long bladed knife.

my cousin who lives over in Australia sent me some copies of the magazine "BACON BUSTERS" over. i'll tell ye this, those are handy looking dogs you use, and as for finnishing them with the knife, well rather you than me :notworthy: . wouldnt like to be on the sharp end of those tusks :o

The dogs take most of the danger out of it. It's just a matter of having faith in them and not being hesitant.

You blokes there would have dogs that could do the job, I'm sure. Sticking them with a knife requires that you get hold of a back leg to control the animal then stick in in the chest behind the point of the elbow. If we are doing them for human consumption (export), you have to flip them on their side and stick them in the throat. On a proper big boar it can take two blokes to flip. You sort cross the backlegs over really quickly and you can get them off balance. On some you can hold both backlegs and sort of walk forward to tip them over on their nose.

It's like anything. Once you are shown that it can be done and how, you guys would feel more confident about the idea.

Cheers.

PS I have had a boar tusk in under by left kneecap. They are very quick if you give them half a chance. It really hurt, put me in shock, had to have a bit of a lie down in the dirt while my son rolled the boar. A young bloke got caught properly on Christmas day. Mucked up and got a tusk up the inside of his thigh and cut the femoral artery. Minutes to death by the time they got him to help. Survived but big scarring and limping. A few blokes get caught with rips up the calf. But it's not like it happens that much. I've only been ripped once in about 32 years usinga knife on boars. I've stabbed myself twice though. A wild boar with a dog on him can be a whirlwind.

Edited by Ned Makim

The dogs take most of the danger out of it. It's just a matter of having faith in them and not being hesitant.

You blokes there would have dogs that could do the job, I'm sure. Sticking them with a knife requires that you get hold of a back leg to control the animal then stick in in the chest behind the point of the elbow. If we are doing them for human consumption (export), you have to flip them on their side and stick them in the throat. On a proper big boar it can take two blokes to flip. You sort cross the backlegs over really quickly and you can get them off balance. On some you can hold both backlegs and sort of walk forward to tip them over on their nose.

It's like anything. Once you are shown that it can be done and how, you guys would feel more confident about the idea.

Cheers.

PS I have had a boar tusk in under by left kneecap. They are very quick if you give them half a chance. It really hurt, put me in shock, had to have a bit of a lie down in the dirt while my son rolled the boar. A young bloke got caught properly on Christmas day. Mucked up and got a tusk up the inside of his thigh and cut the femoral artery. Minutes to death by the time they got him to help. Survived but big scarring and limping. A few blokes get caught with rips up the calf. But it's not like it happens that much. I've only been ripped once in about 32 years usinga knife on boars. I've stabbed myself twice though. A wild boar with a dog on him can be a whirlwind.

Great post,

Can just imagine the uproar if we did that over here! Laughed like hell at the casual "stabbed myself twice though" remark, Sure you didn't laugh though. It just shows the difference in the ways we hunt a similar species on another continent. Obviously the sheer size of the place you hunt means you're well away from other folk, affraid we dont have many places like that over here so we have to adapt our methods to suit our surroundings and what is deemed as acceptable.

I have relatives over there in NSW, a place called Padstow Heights, must get over one day, I have heard loads of great fishing and hunting tales from them.

Regards,

Pete

Great post,

Can just imagine the uproar if we did that over here! Laughed like hell at the casual "stabbed myself twice though" remark, Sure you didn't laugh though. It just shows the difference in the ways we hunt a similar species on another continent. Obviously the sheer size of the place you hunt means you're well away from other folk, affraid we dont have many places like that over here so we have to adapt our methods to suit our surroundings and what is deemed as acceptable.

I have relatives over there in NSW, a place called Padstow Heights, must get over one day, I have heard loads of great fishing and hunting tales from them.

Regards,

Pete

Yeah lots of space here. Cities are much the same as anywhere (but cleaner). I live outside a country town though. The city based hunters might get a bit more grief but out in the bush most people are just glad someone is getting stuck into the hogs. The dogs are hard but very biddable and that makes them more palatable to the townies. There is also a feeling that it is better for the men who like to do this sort of thing to get out of town and do it. Community pressure valve... I would have difficulty not strangling people if I was forced to live as you blokes do. No disrepect intended, just not good with lots of people who can often be worried about lots of little things.

Seriously, you hunting types, get out here for a look. We've got heaps of pests they need attention.

Indeed we use one feral aniaml to catch another when we go north.

On an annual trip north (maybe 4000km round trip) we hunt scrub bulls to use as baits to draw boars out of the bush. A scrub bull is a whole other story...

This is mate brett and my son Paul and a big bull we got.

336b.jpg

We shoot them and come back to the body over a period of a week or two and get things like this feeding on them...

norjul29527am.jpg

Cheers.

Great post,

Regards,

Pete

Yeah lots of space here. Cities are much the same as anywhere (but cleaner). I live outside a country town though. The city based hunters might get a bit more grief but out in the bush most people are just glad someone is getting stuck into the hogs. The dogs are hard but very biddable and that makes them more palatable to the townies. There is also a feeling that it is better for the men who like to do this sort of thing to get out of town and do it. Community pressure valve... I would have difficulty not strangling people if I was forced to live as you blokes do. No disrepect intended, just not good with lots of people who can often be worried about lots of little things.

Seriously, you hunting types, get out here for a look. We've got heaps of pests they need attention.

Indeed we use one feral aniaml to catch another when we go north.

On an annual trip north (maybe 4000km round trip) we hunt scrub bulls to use as baits to draw boars out of the bush. A scrub bull is a whole other story...

This is mate brett and my son Paul and a big bull we got.

336b.jpg

We shoot them and come back to the body over a period of a week or two and get things like this feeding on them...

norjul29527am.jpg

Cheers.

Some big beasties there fella. Regarding the whingers, you are quite right, it is frustrating but the FAC system over here ensures that you are quite effectively neutered if you want to keep your firearms. Any outwardly displays of aggresion that go too far will ensure your guns are gone!

There's a great description in "The Once and Future King" of a boar hunt in the Middle Ages. The dogs were approximately beagles, hunting by scent, and "gazehounds", like greyhounds hunting by sight. Then when it went down and dirty the Alaunts went in. Big mean tough buggers. They were all supposed to chivvy the boar onto the hunter, rather like Ridgebacks chasing a lion onto the gun. The main man waits for the pig to arrive, and sets his boar spear in place. This was a big spear with a cross-piece 18" behind the head. The boar charges the spear, impales himself, and keeps trying to get to the hunter. The cross-piece should stop him, but if the huntsman loses it the boar rips his guts out and buggers off. Nobody with a big gun to back him up! Has anyone in Oz tried that? The antis would have hysterics here but to me it looks like one-on-one. You could have a back-up with a 30-06 just in case the hunter escapes . . .

Ric

There's a great description in "The Once and Future King" of a boar hunt in the Middle Ages. The dogs were approximately beagles, hunting by scent, and "gazehounds", like greyhounds hunting by sight. Then when it went down and dirty the Alaunts went in. Big mean tough buggers. They were all supposed to chivvy the boar onto the hunter, rather like Ridgebacks chasing a lion onto the gun. The main man waits for the pig to arrive, and sets his boar spear in place. This was a big spear with a cross-piece 18" behind the head. The boar charges the spear, impales himself, and keeps trying to get to the hunter. The cross-piece should stop him, but if the huntsman loses it the boar rips his guts out and buggers off. Nobody with a big gun to back him up! Has anyone in Oz tried that? The antis would have hysterics here but to me it looks like one-on-one. You could have a back-up with a 30-06 just in case the hunter escapes . . .

Ric

Short answer re spearing...yes. Just saw a vid on an Oz pig dog site of a bloke having a go with a boar spear as described in your post. The dog had the boar bailed (not held, dog just barking...in the US they call it baying) He slipped around the side and as the pig turned he got it a glancing blow. Second attempt he got the job done. Big hole, let me tell you. Blokes in Argentina do it too.

You can actually get a boar without a dog just using a jumper (don't know if that's what you call them but a warm pullover top). It's not the item of clothing that matters, just that you can get it off quickly. I was shown how by a bloke out here who is regarded as tough by tough blokes if you know what I mean. He had an advantage in that he was fearless, I am not so this took some will when I tried it...

Anyway, he would harass a boar on a quad (foru-wheeled motorbike) until it really wanted to fight. Then he would dismount from the quad and walk towards the boar (only talking single digit metres). The boar would drop its head and come straight at him, he whipped of his jumper over his head and dropped it on the boar's face within inches of it hitting him. Fairly decent step to the side and the pig went through and tried to kill the jumper which was also covering his eyes. My teacher then stepped in and grabbed a back leg. Game over from there.

All this was very quick.

I've done it twice since on my own but only because I had no choice. You have to believe in yourself at that moment let me tell you but it can be done.

If you want to have a go at it, please try a small pig first to get an eye for the timing but if you pull on a big bloke the arc of their head swing is much greater and they only need to get the tip of a tusk to you and you will open up. Scared the shit out of me but exhilerating when it works.

Cheers.