Hi,

bought the wife a cheap incubator for Christmas, we used to keep chickens but have never used an incubator, any advice tips etc. It's a manual turning forced air type.

Thanks

just keep the water topped up to correct level and make yourself a candler...record dates, times etc for future referrence...and make sure to keep an eye on temperature and airflow around incubator is even as you can affect it by the way you set the eggs...good luck buddy...

as said keep an eye on the water and run it for a good day before setting the eggs to warm it through and settle to the set temp also keep it in a room that has a stable temp as if it changes to much it will affect your hatch rate, just things like direct sunlight or draughts are best avoided.

also dont panic if it takes a few hours after setting the eggs to get back up to temp if you adjust it to soon it may well go well over later when your not watching it.

hi what you need is a humidity metre as to much humidity in the incubator caused by to much water is fatal you must keep the water topped up at the hatching stage if you need more advice on this pm me your number and i will have a chat will you , its not just turn it on ,put water in ,put eggs in because there's more to it thanks tj

most of the humidity metres that are small enough to fit in a little incubator are crap, your better off just filling one of them if you have two sections for water or just half filling if you have only one section, then stop turning and fill up all water trays 3 days proir to hatching.

most of the humidity metres that are small enough to fit in a little incubator are crap, your better off just filling one of them if you have two sections for water or just half filling if you have only one section, then stop turning and fill up all water trays 3 days proir to hatching.

sorry i did'nt go into detail in post but your correct tj :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Thanks guys.

Have put the incubation on hold cos I figured any hatching eggs are going to be of low fertility with this cold weather.

Plan to start them off at the end of next month.

no the fertility should'nt be down because of the weather it should remain the same as long as your birds have enough room to move about and keep active but with weather like this heat lamps will be required longer once the eggs have hatched to keep the chicks warm ,give it go you will enjoy the experience tj

Thanks guys.

Have put the incubation on hold cos I figured any hatching eggs are going to be of low fertility with this cold weather.

no the fertility should'nt be down because of the weather it should remain the same as long as your birds have enough room to move about and keep active but with weather like this heat lamps will be required longer once the eggs have hatched to keep the chicks warm ,give it go you will enjoy the experience tj

Cheers tjones.

I'm starting from scratch, years ago I ordered 12 x day olds, they arrived via Amtrak and we reared them under a heatlamp until they were feathered up, kept chucks for 15 years but had to sell when we moved house.

Have you any experience of eggs of ebay?

Farmer friends have offered me some eggs but they are a mix of all sorts.

Regards

Thanks guys.

this is true ,i`ve got a broody sussex it the moment and the cocks still performing they dont seem to bothered by the weather so i assume the eggs should still be fine as long as they dont freeze before you collect them :icon_eek:

Thanks, looking for half a dozen light sussex and half a dozen ROR.

I was surprised the breeds you can get on ebay, just type in 'hatching eggs'

eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-TOP-QUALITY-L-F-LIGHT-SUSSEX-FERTILIZE-HATCHING-EGGS_W0QQitemZ180453216807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item2a03d99227

I suppose it all depends on the post!!!!

Regards.

Thanks, looking for half a dozen light sussex and half a dozen ROR.

I was surprised the breeds you can get on ebay, just type in 'hatching eggs'

eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-TOP-QUALITY-L-F-LIGHT-SUSSEX-FERTILIZE-HATCHING-EGGS_W0QQitemZ180453216807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item2a03d99227

I suppose it all depends on the post!!!!

Regards.

just let me know when your ready mate and i`ll post you some light sussex eggs as thats what i keep, just ask to cover postage if thats o.k :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Well after Trapperman kindly sent me 6 eggs from oxfordshire to Scotland free of charge :thumbs: We had our first go at incubating.

Not very successful as only one hatched although 5 of the six were fertile, I broke one when candling :( and then my incubator thermostat broke!

So here is the survivor :)

SPA50472.jpg

A friend of a friend has given me a couple of Maran chicks so now she (?)has some company :D