micro ferrets

royboy

At the Shropshire game fare earlier this year a guy showed me what he discribed as a micro ferret.This yellow hob ferret was about ten inches long from nose to tail and although it did resemble a mature ferret it was the size of an eight to ten week old kit.I have had ferrets on and off for thirty five years and was told many years ago that to breed smaller ferrets you either bred down or fed down to a size.I hope that this far down the line we have been educated enough to realize that you only get out what you put in, and that to feed down to get smaller ferrets is not only cruel but produces poor quality kits that would suffer lack of energy in the field and suffer premature deaths.I cant see that this can have any practical use in the field as eventualy you breed ferrets that can get anywhere but arent big enough to look after themselves when they do.Has anyone else seen these micro ferrets and am i missing the point???

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Roy welcome to the site.

I have both micro and normals and the all work together and have no worries about what they can do. As the micro don't kill under ground,

As they are small but is does get the rabbit bolting a lot quicker.

So they work for me but they are not every one cup of tea.

P.s Got a little female at 8 inches and will take on anything lol.

Atb dart

ive seen micro ferrets that are similar in size to a 8 week old kit, i think there just a phase at the moment, ferrets can take a lot of punishment whilst working underground and i dont think a ferret of such small proportions is up to the job,i know micro/greyhound ferrets appeal to some but i always reccomend using a good, average sized ferret from working lines,cant go wrong.

I have both micro and normals and the all work together and have no worries about what they can do. As the micro don't kill under ground,

Atb dart

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Do you breed your own micro ferrets?What were the original stock like?Have you any photos?How long have you had them?Sorry for all the questions but i hadnt come across these before the game fare.Thanks Roy

ive seen micro ferrets that are similar in size to a 8 week old kit, i think there just a phase at the moment, ferrets can take a lot of punishment whilst working underground and i dont think a ferret of such small proportions is up to the job,i know micro/greyhound ferrets appeal to some but i always reccomend using a good, average sized ferret from working lines,cant go wrong.

Hi

Thanks for your reply

We seem to have similar ideas about the choice of ferrets for working but as ive never had the option to work with micro ferrets its good to hear other views.

Thanks again

Roy

Atb dart

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Do you breed your own micro ferrets?What were the original stock like?Have you any photos?How long have you had them?Sorry for all the questions but i hadn't come across these before the game fare.Thanks Roy

Yes I do breed my own the line has taken over 30 years to get the right size (No ferrets were killed in the making)

I Have orders for next year as people like the smaller ones as if you put 6 down at once you will see the rabbit go every were. The ferret do get a hard time but i don't put Kit's down until they are a year old, And by then they have plenty of training in the ferret court running up and down tubs etc.

But I do put big hobs down if things get tuff down their.

the line has taken over 30 years to get the right size

Ferrets were used by the ancient Egyptians (amongst many others!) to bolt rabbits over two thousand years ago...............they didn't bother f*cking around with what nature had designed, so why should we?

A ferret is a ferret is a ferret! Treat them properly & they'll still do what nature intended, whether they're large or small

i got a bid hob that loves to kill in

I have a poley hob that weighs in at nearly 2 kilos! Even he has come back out of a bury with cuts to his face............have a think on this, when have you ever heard of a stoat or weasel killing underground? They're tiny wee beasts, but they rely on the killing bite being made outwith the confines of a bury.

have a think on this, when have you ever heard of a stoat or weasel killing underground? They're tiny wee beasts, but they rely on the killing bite being made outwith the confines of a bury.

So just because people haven't seen wild mustelids killing to ground (which they wouldn't as its underground) means that they only kill above ground????