BSA R10 mark 2 out this afternoon in the snow

zini

The day i get back from Germany pal as i will be gagging for a kill LOL :whistling: .

Im leaving the rifles with my mum for safe keeping while im away pal as id hate them to get robbed while im away :angry:

Shes got the terrier and the 2 vermin killers LOL.

Si

Edited by zini

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everybody,

I decided to take out my youngest lad out for a bit of shooting on one of my permissions this afternoon for a couple of hours.

The plan was to drive around in the car with the video camera and my favourite rifle, my .22 calibre BSA R10 mark 2 and see what was about to shoot :whistling: .

Due to the deep snow we could only stay on the metal roads and not go on any tracks as we didn’t want to get stuck :wallbash: .

Because the lack of people where I shoot due of the time of year, and them all being on holiday I had the free run of the area :clapper:.

The pigeons, doves and corvids were out everywhere which was good to see as I’ve been missing getting out on this permission over the past week to get my daily fix of kills :tongue2: .

I shot the rifle and videoed the kills while my young hunting apprentice (Dylan) picked up the shot quarry and brought them back to the car for me :D .

The footage will be added to my new DVD (Pure Air Rifle Hunting) which will be out later next year.

Here is the link to some of the footage from today.

I hope you enjoy watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4rGZ5MCkwM

Zini

Enjoyed the footage Zini thanks for sharing.As I'm new to the sport was just wondering if you were shooting my 97k would you still take the long shots?Are the precharged guns like your r10 so much better?Not questioning your marksmanship just curious,maybe in your new dvd some footage with a springer and show any different techniques if any to using a precharged just a thought atb Johnny

Johnny without wanting to steal Zini's thread its all about getting used to the rifles and ultimatly used to shooting at various ranges I was comfortable at shooting upto 60yds with my hw80 but with the hw100 Ive had a few witnessed kills on bunnys at 70 yds (although they were just showing of and not something I would do every day). :thumbs:

Johnny without wanting to steal Zini's thread its all about getting used to the rifles and ultimatly used to shooting at various ranges I was comfortable at shooting upto 60yds with my hw80 but with the hw100 Ive had a few witnessed kills on bunnys at 70 yds (although they were just showing of and not something I would do every day). :thumbs:

Thanks sniper i'm just after as much ifo as possible to make me a better shooter thats very impresive shooting :gunsmilie:

Edited by johnny 2

Enjoyed the footage Zini thanks for sharing.As I'm new to the sport was just wondering if you were shooting my 97k would you still take the long shots?Are the precharged guns like your r10 so much better?Not questioning your marksmanship just curious,maybe in your new dvd some footage with a springer and show any different techniques if any to using a precharged just a thought atb Johnny

Hi Johnny friend,

I used to own a Tony Wall from Sandwell Field Sports tuned Weihrauch HW97k mate and loved it to bits, it was the best springer that i have ever owned myself.

There is only 1 springer that i think in my opinion is up with it for accuracy and quality and that’s the Air Arms ProSport as that it a real beauty and dream to shoot.

I had to let it go though due to moving to a country where hunting with an air rifle was illegal and about 7 FP was the legal limit for an air rifle.

To be honest i would have it now if i never moved country before.

Shooting a rifle of any kind be it springer, PCP or large bore rifles requires the same techniques to shoot them accurately and effectively.

These being:

Position and hold of the rifle when shooting

Sight alignment, be it open sights or a scope which requires correct eye relief and zeroing

Trigger control

Follow through of the shot

Knowing your range at which you can accurately and humanely kill vermin etc.

A lot of shooter forget this with a PCP and think that they can just point and shoot and get good results.

I’m afraid that this isn’t so and the results are a lot of misses and wounded animals.

To answer your question pal

With a rifle of the HW97K quality I would still confidently shoot vermin out to 45 metres no problems if it was in .22 calibre which is the calibre I shoot.

Don’t forget I have been shooting vermin with an air rifle for many, many years and have been a marksman for 19 years consecutively without fail within the military so have served my time and learnt my shooting over the years.

Long range isn’t everything though pal and getting close to a weary animal and then humanely dispatching it is a much better skill than just taking a risk shot at distance and missing or wounding.

Start off at 20 to 25 metres and then improve your skill slowly until you can extend your range and kill effectively.

I used to try and jump the gun (pardon the punt) and try and shoot beyond my capability as a young one and missed a lot of vermin that either flew off or run off when I could have just stalked and got a 100% kill 10 metres further on.

Keep me updated with your shooting mate and if you need any advice ill try and assist you as much as I can pal.

If I don’t know the answers someone like Festa, Marksman, Wuzzy, Reggaeman, Davy, Phantom or one of the other good shots and regulars on here will defo have the answers

All the best and take care.

Zini.

Edited by zini

No problems Johnny :thumbs:

If you ask any of the regulars on here I bet 99% if not all would rate the HW group of springers.

The HW95K is also a cracking rifle and ive owned many differnt ones of them too.

Zini

I spot the quarry, zoom in close and set the camera in the right place then zoom out and press record. I then talk and introduce the shot and then zoom in to take the shot.

Zini

This has made it more impressive for me Si, as you can now appreciate how far away the targets really are. Also liked the mildot info on one of the shots.

Now all you need for the next DVD is a "through the scope" shot. That would be brilliant. Have a look at some videos by a girl called Emma on YouTube. She goes under the name of Cubleycat (also Snypercat) and has some good footage. In one of her videos she shows how to attach a video camera to the scope.

Cheers

Sib

You've a very good rifle there Johnny the 97 like all weihrauchs are very accurate ,getting used to them is down to the shooter it will take a good few pellets down the spout at different ranges to master it.But best of luck with it id still have at least 1 of my springers (hw77,hw80) if the rimmy's didnt move in :thumbs:

You've a very good rifle there Johnny the 97 like all weihrauchs are very accurate ,getting used to them is down to the shooter it will take a good few pellets down the spout at different ranges to master it.But best of luck with it id still have at least 1 of my springers (hw77,hw80) if the rimmy's didnt move in :thumbs:

Thanks sniper only done about 400 pellets with it. im learning to hover the Cross hairs and just let it go to try to get it really steady doesn't help hope im on the right track atb johnny