Fao all aussies

Right sorry to bother you all and i know this perhaps isnt the best forum to put it on but the way i see it this is the section that most the aussies will be active in. Ive recently moved to tasmania (spare me the inbred jokes).

Thing is i have no hunting contacts over here and am on the look out for a couple of dogs. Im thinking along the lines of bull x greyhound or maybe a couple of stag hounds. Anyway if anyone is from tasmania or knows anyone into hunting in tasmania id really appreciate it if you could give me a pm as i really need some help here lol.

Also anyone from the melbourne area that can help either? as plane fares arnt that expensive and at a guess flying a dog as well wouldnt be either.

Y.I.S

Jordan

P.S

I did ask about this before but cant remember who it was got in touch with me. :rolleyes::unsure:

Jordan. Jump on the plane or boat and head to Melbourne on friday the 29th of september. There is a terrier and running dog show at Smythsdale, just out of Ballarat on saturday the 30th starting at 9am. This show is run by the jack russell terrier club of australia who have a branch in Tasmania. Then when the show is over, head north to Carisbrook for the jack russell breeders and workers annual working terrier and running dog show on the 1st of october starting at 10am. Carisbrook is the biggest show in Australia and you will definately find what your looking for there. Lots of running dogs and the best foxing working terriers in the country. The other show on saturday should have a few tasmanians there to give you information on running dogs in tasmania otherwise ask the judge of the running dogs as he has contacts there. These two shows are less than an hour apart . For the saturday show ring 03 97959158 and for the sunday show ring 03 55292349.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Are you referring to me? If so I'm probably greener than Jordan is. James Callan knows a guy who works his dogs down here and actually knows what he's doing. I'm just trying to get started with my first dog. Not having much luck!

Is Carisbrook always in October? That's a crap time of year for me to get away... But I want to go soooo badly!

Edited by grubbavitch

Moved to tassie , No pigs , No foxes , pretty said really from what im told wallabies and perhaps deer ar the main go down that way. either way you need a fast strong dog reccon a couple of stags would be the go. I know j. Callan has a litter planed stag/grey cross should be rippers. you can get his number of boardogs deerandbull kennels.

good hunting

stevemac

Guest Scruffy

if your after Deerhounds, there are 2 very highly regarded breeders in Moe, which is towards phillip island from Melbourne. there is also apparently a good stag breeder whom has some great lines going. post 'Mitch' on this forum as he has a stag from Moe. good luck on land without foxes anyways mate. :victory::gunsmilie::drink::bye:

yer what scruffy said :wallbash: me and scruffy have been to tassy before. if i remember correctly, its very hilly. deerhounds and x's of them would be a good choice for you then as deerys have strong rear ends built for pushing them up hills. i reckon a Stag x Deer would be perfect. :gunsmilie:8)

Edited by holy grail
deerhounds and x's of them would be a good choice for you then as deerys have strong rear ends built for pushing them up hills

agreed.

i have sent you a message with the details of the fella you need to talk too. We have a brother of the Maggie and Tom is just the boy for her. Serious deerhounds in that proposed litter, Mate. :toast:

from what im told wallabies and perhaps deer ar the main go down that way.

Just make sure your permission-owners will keep it to themselves. Killing ANY animal with a dog is illegal down here, I got a polite warning just for talking about rabbiting (not knowing it was illegal back then).

Taking any deer with a dog (even with a deer permit) would see you in serious trouble, and taking wallaby is a $5000 fine and/or 12 months in the big house. Rabbiting is an on-the-spot fine and they hit you with dog control laws too if they catch you.

I'm very careful about what I do with the dog, where and when I go, what I talk about and who I talk to about it, because everyone knows everyone down here.