Turning on the deaf ears.

When one of my Jack Russels was about 9 months she started completely ignoring me when calling her, it was nose down and off i go until i'm ready, this only used to occur when i was heading back to the car. Eventually the problem was overcome, but christ it used to wind me up. I also used to have a Border collie bitch that would turn on the deaf ears when on a hot rabbit scent, she would vanish for 20 mins upwards at a time, did't bother me too much in the day time, but when lamping she would alert every rabbit by doing this if the mood took her.

So i was just wondering from your own personal experience what lurcher crosses seem more prone to doing this. I would be interested to hear from bedlington owners who have/nt come across this because i would be tempted in the future to buy one, but if this is a common trait it would make me think twice.

When the dogs used to do this it was always when working close to or in woodland.

Thanks

Hi wuyang, from what i know it happens in breeds that are used for hunting i.e terriers... it is normally when they are not far from a year old, when they begin to understand hunting and want to chase, they move away from [playing as a puppy and want to hunt as they become more confident, however must dogs with grow out of this aslong as you dont give up and keep working on the dog.