Ive got a 3 1/2 yr old well built greyhound

Ive got a 3 1/2 year old greyhound. Hes well built and fit and not to stupid (for a greyhound) He comes back on call and is steady to heel. Im going to start working him rough shooting and a bit of lamping soon, hes never had any live quarry to deal with. Im just after any advice and tips or common pitfalls i shuld be aware of,

not a major problem or one you can fix but i think pure greys over run their quarry when they are on the turn although they do make up the pace when on the straight again, you will get him retrieving but you might need to put in some hard work there but breaking to live stock should be first on your agenda

atb with him

mcass

I took him out the other day and he was steady, I shot i couple of hares which he ran off with, One of which he finished off. He would not leave them and he eventualy came back to heel with it still in his mouth which he duely gave me, Just seemed a bit excited. Wouldnt go near the woodcock i shot though (but i wasnt exoecting him to) was pleased with his performance though. Thanks for the replys lads

They can make handy dogs, their draw backs are the pure speed leads to higher impact forces ie feet to ground more likely knocked up toes and hitting a fence a 40 miles per hour is a lot more damaging than a lurcher at 30, plus turning is slower just because ther're going so much faster. With experience they learn to run more cunning and especially if started as pups do OK. I've run a few ex racers with succes on the lamp and day time but always kept a close eye and picked the ground.