diana 48 "break in"

I just bought Diana 48 and it seem pretty accurate @20 yards(1" w/JSB jumbo exacts). I have seen that some people post 1" @ 40+ yards with pcp's and starting to wonder if I made a good purchase or not. Is my rifle able to produce those kinds of groups?

I would appreciate any help.

Hi, mate.

It can if you can!! I'd not tried the JSB's in mine but found Accupell's worked best out of all the ones I did try.

Give it a couple of hunderd shots or so and it should settle down just fine.

Cheers.

PS... Let us know how you get on....

Thanks andy

I think that the Diana 48 was the perfect choice for me! Today went up in the hills and shot about 400rds of the JSB EXACT JUMBO pellets through the gun and I am pretty sure it is broke-in now! I started by zeroing it in at 30yrds and from there I went straight to 50, then 60, etc... stopping at 90yrds. Between 30 and 50yrds, 6 out 10 pellets were touching(about 1-1.5" group), which I am very happy with. From 50 up to 90yrds my group got larger, but I expected that. What I did not expect, was the group to stay as small as it did. I will skip straight to 90yrds, the group was the size of the bottom of a beer can(2.5"). Now, I did jerk a few shots, which were outside of that group, but out of about twenty shots I had a very distinguishable pattern of 10 shots inside of 2.5". The bad shots, made by me, were well outside of the group. I think with a some more practice I will be able to tighten up my groups. I have tried crosmans, Beemans (crow mag, super sting, kodiak match) rws(super H-points,and super domes), jsb(exact,heavy and jumbo) and the garbage called pba, and out of all of these the jsb pellets(all of them) are the best, with the kodiaks a close 2nd. I will look for the Accupell's, but if you can get the jsbs pellets they are worth trying.

Thanks again

crow48

ps. with the zero set at 30 yrds each mil dot below was in 10yrd increments(50yrds being the first). leaper 5th gen 3-9x40mm

Edited by crow48

Hi. Crow.

Mine used to give 32ft-ib with Accupels (on FAC over here). Maybe the main-springs not the same?? Dunno....

Have it checked, it'd be interesting to see what your's is putting out....

Cheers.

Edit to say... I had it tuned by a local gunsmith, so maybe it had an unfair advantage....

Edited by andyfr1968

I have see a couple of tune kits for the 48's by Jim Macarri. One of these is a "VRT KIT", which is supposed to maintain oem power but reduce the overall spread. The other is not really a kit, it is called a "MONOLITH SPRING", which is supposed to boost your velocity. I have seen that a lot of people tune down there magnum springers to gain accuracy. How is yours for accuracy, and what all did your gunsmith do? I am definitely interested in getting a little more energy, but I do not what to sacrifice any accuracy. I curious, is your 48 .25cal?

crow48

Hi, Crow.

I'm going back over ten years since I had that 52. I have another now in .177 that's below the legal limit as I no longer have an FAC.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what was done other than the spring was changed and the internals cleaned up and polished. It was a .22 and like yours would shoot to around an inch at 50 or so yards. Still low recoil and a pleasure to shoot.

One tip I have picked up about them is for some reason they are LESS powerful in .25. I know that shouldn't be the case with a springer but in the 48/52/54, it is. Strange....

Cheers.

Hey andy,

That's great info. Even before I purchased my 48 I have look into tuning it. But after shooting it "stock'', I have say, I don't think(at least for the moment) that I will change anything. Today I popped a crow at 55yrds. It dropped like a bad habit. Besides the 48 I also have GAMO BIG CAT in .177. I think that the GAMO is not that bad for the money, but the caliber did not support the velocity. I am really impressed with the .22, accuracy is great, but over here 55yrds is pretty close, so head shots are not always possible. Hey, I have two quick questions: 1, why do you guys call squirrels "squzziers"; 2, what do you call crows?

later

crow48

Hey andy,

That's great info. Even before I purchased my 48 I have look into tuning it. But after shooting it "stock'', I have say, I don't think(at least for the moment) that I will change anything. Today I popped a crow at 55yrds. It dropped like a bad habit. Besides the 48 I also have GAMO BIG CAT in .177. I think that the GAMO is not that bad for the money, but the caliber did not support the velocity. I am really impressed with the .22, accuracy is great, but over here 55yrds is pretty close, so head shots are not always possible. Hey, I have two quick questions: 1, why do you guys call squirrels "squzziers"; 2, what do you call crows?

later

crow48

1) just a nickname.like maggie for magpie

2) i call them dirty vicious fuckers :)

I hear that ian. They roost in the city, and migrate out where I live every day to feed. The sky going black with the noise buggers. they are hard on tweety bird and just about every other animal they can find. "Maggies" are just as bad in my book, but lucky for me we don't have them on our side of the mountains.

Edited by crow48