30" or 32" barrels

ive just recieved my certificate through the post,:)

so off to a shop i went, he had a nice gun which had 32" barrels,

the fit was the best out of the 3 guns i looked at, other 2 was 28" and 30" barrells.

what are the fors and againsts usuing 32" barrels for clays and abit of rough shooting. the gun was a miroku mk38

cheers;)

alrite mate..you will get better distance ou of the 32" barrel but they wont spread as much so it will be harder to hit your target than if you had the 28" or 30" but as i said you wont get the same range out of the shorter ones..so what ever you think would suit you better..do you tink you will need one for range?..if not i think it would be better going for either 28" or 30" as u will find it easier to hit your target and also they wont kick as much as the 32" barrel..lets us know what you decide on...ATB CRAIG

Unless you have money to spend on having the stock fitted to suit you, go for the one that fits you best. Shorter barrels will mount and swing faster but longer barrels seem to be more 'pointable'. Because of the weight, longer barrels may shoot low(barrel heavy). Keep your forearm as straight as possible to counteract the weight. O/U guns seem to handle 'lighter' than SxS guns of the same weight. A full choke barrel throws a full choke pattern and a half choke barrel throws a half choke pattern no matter their length. My 3inch magnum has 25.5 inch barrels proofed for 1&7/8 ozs of lead.

im 6" with quite long arms,

the stock was about quarter - half inch longer,

so compared to the lanber that i tried i didnt feel so hunched up

and it felt better to swing.

im a novice to sg's so the dealer could probably tell me anything i woulnt know the diffrence. :confused:

i cant fault him tho. i tried a number of diffrent guns and this one deffinetly

felt the best.

price wise, he wants £750 with the extended chokes and a new sg slip.

i would spend a day at a clay pigeon range, skeet would allow you to try the different barrel lengths at consistant targets, you wont need to worry about the target verying too much and therefore if you feel comfortable and shoot better with one particular gun length then stick with it. When i was shooting a lot of clays 32" guns seemed to be fashionable for a while, they are very pointable and suit some targets better than others. I shoot a 30" gun reasonably well but couldnt hit a barn door with a 28" gun, this is just me, my swing suits a 30" barrel. i did like the 32" barrels but then again it was only a few shots from a friends gun. You may find the 30" is better suited and more of an all rounder.

keith

well ive decided to give this gun a miss.

ive tried a beretta 687 i think and

a browning 3 something something

the beretta fitted me nice even though it only had 28" barrels. out of my price range by a couple of hundred pound though.

after feeling these 2 guns the mk38 was heavier and had more weight on the muzzle. ill keep looking.

cheers

ive just recieved my certificate through the post,:)

so off to a shop i went, he had a nice gun which had 32" barrels,

the fit was the best out of the 3 guns i looked at, other 2 was 28" and 30" barrells.

what are the fors and againsts usuing 32" barrels for clays and abit of rough shooting. the gun was a miroku mk38

cheers;)

I would suggest sticking to 28 or 30 to start with for clays and abit of rough, 32 can be a bit of an effort sometimes!!

alrite mate..you will get better distance ou of the 32" barrel but they wont spread as much so it will be harder to hit your target than if you had the 28" or 30" but as i said you wont get the same range out of the shorter ones..so what ever you think would suit you better..do you tink you will need one for range?..if not i think it would be better going for either 28" or 30" as u will find it easier to hit your target and also they wont kick as much as the 32" barrel..lets us know what you decide on...ATB CRAIG

I'm a bit confused what that was all about...

The difference in range will be inches (if that) and the difference in spread, (which will be tiny), can more than easily be dealt with by chokes...and why will 32 inch barrels kick you more than 30 or 28 :hmm::hmm:

I'm a bit confused what that was all about...

The difference in range will be inches (if that) and the difference in spread, (which will be tiny), can more than easily be dealt with by chokes...and why will 32 inch barrels kick you more than 30 or 28 :hmm::hmm:

well know all...well if that is the case why dont sawn off shotguns not kick at all?..or why do they spread out so far?..and why do they only fire 20 yards?..the longer the barrel the less they spread and the more they kick, you tit..ya how you like dem apples?..

well know all...well if that is the case why dont sawn off shotguns not kick at all?..or why do they spread out so far?..and why do they only fire 20 yards?..the longer the barrel the less they spread and the more they kick, you tit..ya how you like dem apples?..

Do you have experience with sawn off shotguns?

Do you have experience with sawn off shotguns?

maybe i do maybe i dont..why you want to no?

is a pistol the same as a shotgun?..no i dont tink so anyway..but maybe your just that stupid you dont know the difference..

I think you aught to get your head down and sleep off what ever you're on.

Edited by rjimmer