ferreting alongside road

has anyone got a copy of this 15ft law? i would like an official document to quote from if possible. and is it only 15ft onto roadside verges or onto other places such as feilds?

this could be a very useful piece of legislation which many of us are oblivious to.

thanks

rob

there is not one mate the law is the fence and thats it any one no any diff love to no but there is not

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all, going ferereting on sunday and there are a few holes in the hedge between my permish and the road, some of the holes are in the verge on the road side of the fence, where do i stand with putting nets over the holes in the verge as they are out of my boundry but dont want to lose bunnies or a ferret on the road for not netting holes.

where do i stand on netting these holes next to the road?

Stuff 'em, i've got some land that runs alongside a dual carriage way. There's holes all the way along the hedge and on the verge and i've always ferreted these with out any trouble apart from the odd anti driving past pipping sticking his fingers up. On a few occasions when theres no crop in the fields these warrens have been the best ones for holding.

same here mate i have the same on some permission i have got and we do the holes on the road side like you said you get antis beeping and sticking they fingers up at us we just give them it back f**k'em :feck:

there is not one mate the law is the fence and thats it any one no any diff love to no but there is not

if you know something as fact fine, but your talking crap, completely contradict yourself in the same sentance

the law is the fence and thats it

but then, to cover yourself, just in case,

if anyone know any different,let me know

and then

but there is not

when replying, you either know a fact or not, you seem to be in the "not" I would have copied and pasted the section, from the national ferreters register, from the road agencies commission, saying about the 15ft rule, sadly the site has closed down to not enough members, but with a bit of searching the net, Im sure it could be found again

if you know something as fact fine, but your talking crap, completely contradict yourself in the same sentance

and then

but there is not

when replying, you either know a fact or not, you seem to be in the "not" I would have copied and pasted the section, from the national ferreters register, from the road agencies commission, saying about the 15ft rule, sadly the site has closed down to not enough members, but with a bit of searching the net, Im sure it could be found again

This interesting Stubby as I was told the same when I was telling a chap that in the past I've always tended to be a bit sneaky in these situations and stunk-out the boundary burrows so the rabbits moved to burrows away from the road .

As far as you know is the 15 ft rule an actual Law or is it merely a Road Agency Commission policy to allow it?.

Also is there any guidline on how close to the road you can be ?

As notwithstanding the "15 ft rule" I can envisage a situation where Police , Highways Authorities and H&S folk might get a bit twitchy about Chap8 training and hi viz jackets . :thumbs:

and then

but there is not

thanks for that when you find it let us no please

yup, its a road agency law, it saves them money, as it allows landowners etc to ferret etc, otherwise think of all those landowners who could get onto them, saying the warren was their side of the boundary fence, and they needed to pay for pest control

how many people have ferreted land, with a little "B" road running down the side, technically the landowner only owns upto the boundary fence/hedge, with only a few feet of grass the opposite side before tarmac, Ive ferreted in this situation loads of times, simply running a longnet along the verge, never once have I been stopped, or moaned at, in fact, Ive picked up extra permission from passing cars, that stop and ask me to do their land/gardens etc

yup, its a road agency law, it saves them money, as it allows landowners etc to ferret etc, otherwise think of all those landowners who could get onto them, saying the warren was their side of the boundary fence, and they needed to pay for pest control

how many people have ferreted land, with a little "B" road running down the side, technically the landowner only owns upto the boundary fence/hedge, with only a few feet of grass the opposite side before tarmac, Ive ferreted in this situation loads of times, simply running a longnet along the verge, never once have I been stopped, or moaned at, in fact, Ive picked up extra permission from passing cars, that stop and ask me to do their land/gardens etc

Makes sense. A bit like the laws that allow a landowner limited access to neighbouring property for essential maintainance to drains and fences etc .Except that in those cases I think you have to give notice of your intentions.

Probably worth ,as you say, tracking down a copy just in case someone does offer a challenge .

Thanks for that :thumbs: .

Well I've just spoken to a contact who works for my local council and he has said that the Highways Agency are more concerned with Motorways (he also gave me a number to ring for them .Engaged!)but maybe they do have a policy as the question of rabbit control on their boundaries must come up quite often.He'd not heard of it though.

Apparently most other verges are controlled by local councils not the Highways Agency anyway . His opinion was that anyone wanting to net up one of his council verges would technically need permission which would probably be given in the interests of being good neighbours as long as it was safe .

He used to be a keen ferreter himself and many times in the past I've worked council land with him. His attitude being . "Mate it's under my department .I'm giving us permission".

hi may be right but you dont own the land do you

Well I've just spoken to a contact who works for my local council and he has said that the Highways Agency are more concerned with Motorways (he also gave me a number to ring for them .Engaged!)but maybe they do have a policy as the question of rabbit control on their boundaries must come up quite often.He'd not heard of it though.

Apparently most other verges are controlled by local councils not the Highways Agency anyway . His opinion was that anyone wanting to net up one of his council verges would technically need permission which would probably be given in the interests of being good neighbours as long as it was safe .

He used to be a keen ferreter himself and many times in the past I've worked council land with him. His attitude being . "Mate it's under my department .I'm giving us permission".

thats just him its not the means and ends all is it some one on here must have it in writing when i see it thats ok untill then its not allowed is it does the same thing go ofor if i get permition to ferret the high ways i can ferret 15 feet inside the land on the side of it

Believe it or not I made a phone call and have actually spoken to a human. This lead me to also sending an E-mail .Nothing like belt and braces . Either way I am now awaiting some sort of clarification from the Highways Agency. Remember ,whatever answer they come back with it will only apply to motorway banks . Most trunk road verges remain in private hands or under the control of local councils.

If I do get a response I shall pass it on . :thumbs:

Believe it or not I made a phone call and have actually spoken to a human. This lead me to also sending an E-mail .Nothing like belt and braces . Either way I am now awaiting some sort of clarification from the Highways Agency. Remember ,whatever answer they come back with it will only apply to motorway banks . Most trunk road verges remain in private hands or under the control of local councils.

i to would like to know the out come as i use to work for a firm called kestrel pest control and we had the contract with the highways agency on the m4,m3,A303,A3,A34,A27,M27 etc and we use to do a hell of alot of ferreting on these embankments when farmers complain to the highways we use to respond to the callout, if the warrens were on either side of the fence the cost was split. Bearing the mind the amount of courses i had to go on and all the red tape we had to go through was unbelivable. Also on every job TM (traffic managment) had to be in place. so i would assume joe bloggs would not be able to ferret on motorways and A roads these are also the only roads the highways agency look after. other roads come under council departments

I have never heard of this 'Law' either. I would have thought the autorities would be attempting to pursue people for poaching offences if there was alot of people feretting the road side banks. I would be greatful to know the outcome of the Email.

• 4 weeks later...

i to would like to know the out come as i use to work for a firm called kestrel pest control and we had the contract with the highways agency on the m4,m3,A303,A3,A34,A27,M27 etc and we use to do a hell of alot of ferreting on these embankments when farmers complain to the highways we use to respond to the callout, if the warrens were on either side of the fence the cost was split. Bearing the mind the amount of courses i had to go on and all the red tape we had to go through was unbelivable. Also on every job TM (traffic managment) had to be in place. so i would assume joe bloggs would not be able to ferret on motorways and A roads these are also the only roads the highways agency look after. other roads come under council departments

Sorry to rejuvenate this thread at so late a date but as promised here is an update .

Basically "hound" is right . No Joe blogs can ferret along Motorways and A roads without permission and training .

I've spoken to some very helpfull people at the HA who, considering the amount of work they must have on at the moment ,were nothing but generous with their time.

They have no hard and fast policy on rabbit control.

Each case brought to their attention is subject to surveys by "Network Stewards" and Environmental Operatives and as "hound " infers no -one who has not undergone safety training to a standard required by the local area Manager may carry out any procedure on the embankments or other HA controlled land..

The HA have their own list of contractors for this work .

Most importantly ,their is no 15ft area of free access for boundary rabbit control by Landowners or their representatives .

Perhaps the National Ferreters Register were being optimistic or relying on bad advice. It has been made plain to me by the HA that case decisions are taken an individual and regional basis and no organisation or individual has carte-blanche to enter their land for rabbit control.

Edited by comanche