My Greys claws are pretty long actually too long i ask the vet to cut them last time he was in for his booster and she said "No its ok its because hes flat flooted" :blink:

There are kind of growing bent and not straight forward and are only a millimeter off the floor when hes walking.

I have seen some pet nail clippers for a quid and REALLY want to do it but he has black claws and i cant see the bloody quick...How far up would be safe?

And if i did happen to catch the quick would vet powder stem the flow? :unsure:

Hes had enough pain in them old legs without me causing more :icon_eek:

Any advice?

Id buy good quality nail clippers, you want something thats gonna take the nails off quickly and cleanly. The odd time mine need doing i just guess...a little at a time, they dont have to be very short if he isnt working. And if they are not causing him any problems just leave alone.

Your best bet it to get him out on roads and let them wear down naturally, although i know with some dogs it doesnt help much....will he dig? Ive found that wears front nails down the quickest :laugh:

Does he have knocked up toes....that is usually the reason for them growing bent etc?

MOLL.

Got quite a few old injuries Moll dont know about knocked up tows though will speak to his old owner :signthankspin:

Tried filing them down with a strikeside of matchbox and that worked very well but it became smooth after one claw :realmad:

I know my bitch is built more like a Rottie than a Grey :blink: and she stood on the tip of his foot the other day and he screamed!!!!But saying that she is a total power house and full muscle at front so i dont blame him :unsure:

I belive with the claws been so long that they must of bent and hurt him..so going to whip them down as short as i safley can :thumbs-up:

Editer for nursey style spelling :lol

Edited by FastDogz

You can tell if any of his toes are knocked....they will be much thicker/broader on the top joint than the others. My dog has several and will also yelp when they are knocked etc.

Like this....

The right side middle toe is much bigger, some knocked toes are smaller than this to look at but it gives you an idea of what it is. Hope this helps?

MOLL.

if you feel the back of the nail there is a groove, press your own nail into the groove when the dog squirms that is as far as you want to cut back to. if you nip it too far back and it bleeds dab a bit of bicarbonate of soda on it to stop the bleeding.