Hello and Question

Hi Mate,

Good luck with your experimentation and let us know how you get on.

Just got a tin of Bisley Magnums and intend to try them on Monday, I had a word with the local gunsmith in sheffield, he seems a damn good guy and provides advice which is honest rather than putting money in his pocket. I explained my concerns regarding over penetration and he advised the Bisley Magnums, and has he is the second person to recommend them. They get the next slot for testing.

ATB

Dave

Forget this daft notion of over-penetration! With the p*ss poor amount of power we have to play with, there really is no such thing.

It's all about hitting the target in the right place and knowing the pellet will go in far enough to kill and not bounce off or not go in far enough..

It's better to put a hole through your target than not... Folks may argue about 'shock factor' but with only 12ft-lbs to start with, never mind after it's flown maybe 40 odd yards, we've not really got much anyway.

Cheers.

Edited by andyfr1968

Sorry Andy I don't fully agree. Yes if you hit them in the head and drill through them with a .177 then it is lights out almost instantly. However, if you drill through almost any other area of the body the pellet is failing to transfer its energy and thus your quarry may escape to die a more slow death. Please remember a 40 yard flight may put it over someone elses land where you can not retrieve, or worse complete the dispatch. My experience with a .22 is that they transfer more energy and thus do more damage for anything that is less than a perfect shot.

Enough said, we all have our oppinions.

On a more fun note, I was up at 6:30 this morning dressed and ready to ambush the ducks before they arrived. The first two flights came in about 7:15, it was too dark to put the cross hairs on them. So 30 mins of hiding in trees, trying to keep the circulation in my hands and feet, it was -8. After having to move my position because the ducks had moved to an area directly beneath the trees that I was using as a hide, (this was the only part of the pond that was not frozen). So I had to move about 30 yards to get an angle to take a shot. In making that move I spooked the flock and they all took flight. So I took up my new position and waited, about 15 mins later about 8 mallards came in 6 drakes, and two females.

Now at last I was ready to take the shot, a branch at a covenient height gave me a rock solid shoting base, 35 yards, half a mil-dot hold over on the eye, and a slight squeeze on the trigger. No thwack, just BANG, some how I had failed to chamber a pellet when cocking the rifle. Ducks fly off, and I have only two more mornings to get a brace of ducks for Boxing Day lunch.

Still, I have learned a lot on where to hide on the pond now, and I'm sure I wont make that same mistake with the rifle again. I guess I will be up at 6am again tomorrow.

ATB

Dave