Milbemax is a great wormer, but you have to be careful, the vet doesn't tell you

you can split, so look at the weight on the pack and split if you need to - it

means that if you have terriers like me you can use one tablet for two (my vet

sells me one tablet which does 20kg per dog). Also you can get puppy sized ones

too. Its also safe to use in pregnant bitches, which drontal isnt.

Regards

deanne

hi all ive always used drontol as a wormer but ive now been given milbemax to use on the dogs. Which one is best as ive never used milbemax. Any help on this cheers.

Milbemax is a great wormer, but you have to be careful, the vet doesn't tell you you can split, so look at the weight on the pack and split if you need to - it means that if you have terriers like me you can use one tablet for two (my vet sells me one tablet which does 20kg per dog). Also you can get puppy sized ones too. Its also safe to use in pregnant bitches, which drontal isnt. Regards deanne
hi all ive always used drontol as a wormer but ive now been given milbemax to use on the dogs. Which one is best as ive never used milbemax. Any help on this cheers.
cheers for the reply. 1 tablet does up to 25 kg i think.

Hello Mate.

They are both good but you must alternate between the two to avoid resistance buildup.

I ask the vet to look at my records each time because I can never remember what I had the previous time.

ATB-Bryan.

Can i just ask how much your getting the (20kg) wormers for?

Edited by Jamie E
ive just done 5 dogs 3 terriers 1 whippet and a big lurcher and the vets charged 34 quid
  • 3 weeks later...
ive just done 5 dogs 3 terriers 1 whippet and a big lurcher and the vets charged 34 quid

wow thats expensive

milbemax puppy does dogs and puppies up to 5kg

milbemax adult does dogs and puppies 5-25kg

you should be paying no more than £5 for puppy ones and £7 for adult at most when getting them direct from the vets-didd they charge a consultation for you seeing the vet- most vets will give a years supply of wormers in one go for each dog-if you have more than two dogs ask to see a partner in the practice and disscuss discount they want you to worm your dogs

If your dog has collie in it make sure you are careful with doses for milbemax, as collies are very sensitive to Ivermectin and Milbemax contains Avermevtin which is a similar compound. When I asked my vet about this as my lurcher is collie cross, he said it is safe as long as the doses are correct and the dog is weighed every time it is wormed. I made the decision to use a different wormer as we use Ivermectin to worm the horses and sheep and sometimes my dog eats their dung. I know the chances of a problem are slim but I'm damned if I'm losing my dog over something that is supposed to help keep her healthy.

Having said that there is no doubt that Milbemax is the best wormer on the market but I am currently using Panacur and Drontal. Panacur made a brilliant product which is like a soft biscuit and dogs love it, but when I went to get wormers last week my vet said they are not manufacturing it any more which is a shame.

PS Advocate is another product which can affect collies and should never be used within 30 days of milbemax on any dog.

Edited by Annmarie09