Unorthodox healing method

Our local vet has a bad reputation among dog owners, so one a bit further away is often reccomended. I was talking to someone the other day who was telling me a story, some one took her elderly dog to the better vets to have a big cyst removed, and was told to leave the wound open. The woman being a nurse wasn't so sure of this so took the dog to a different vet. This new vet is a husband and wife partnership that is given to be the best dog vets in the country.

The wife of the vets had a look at the wound, bone deep hole and said I want to keep this dog in a day or two. The woman went back and the dog was recovering tremendously. The vet had filled the hole with honey.

Now I have heard that honey is antibacterial/antiseptic. And I was told this by a reliable bloke who keeps dogs, but was just wondering what the use of honey would be, would it work like i suspect it would, or is my leg being pulled.

honey has been used for years. i have a friend who is a very well respected equine vet he uses honey a lot he make his own lotions one of which is refered to as his magic pink lotion by his clients. among other things it contains baby lotion and honey and will clear up a sink complaint/ sore in half the time of other medicines. he combines western medicine with natural remedies all the time.

Honey is one method of keeping a moist, clean environment, so alowing a hole to heal from the inside out. The high suger content reduces bacterial growth. There are a number of products on the market that fulfill this role when a wound is to deep to be just stitched.

That's what I thought. Think it's good that the vets are using these methods over chemicals etc. Must get the name of this vet as they are said to be the best dog vet in the area. If anyone is in northern ireland this surgery is in coleraine, and is a husband and wife team, if nayone knows them maybe give us the name?

Would it be a good idea to have a post at the top containing treatments like this? Things we can use at home, maybe handy to have a specific dog treatment reference page.

Honey works in several ways to heal wounds. Honey’s thick consistency forms a barrier protecting the wound from outside infections. The moistness allows skin cells to grow without creating a scar, even if a scab has already formed. Meanwhile, the sugars extract dirt and moisture from the wound, which helps prevent bacteria from growing, while the acidity of honey slows or prevents the growth of many bacteria. An enzyme that bees add to honey reacts with the wound’s fluids and breaks down into hydrogen peroxide, a disinfectant. Honey also acts as an anti-inflammatory and pain killer, and prevents bandages from sticking to wounds.

But, some types of honey are a hundred times more effective in their antibacterial properties. The honey you buy at the shop will probably not have the healing benefits you want. The heat used to pasteurize shop bought honey destroys its ability to make hydrogen peroxide; also, particles and spores that can cause infection may not be filtered out. Honey can still be treated with gamma-irradiation without damaging its healing properties but finding it ...