Curing gun shyness

ive got a 5 year old springer and a 8 year old cocker, both are just pets

but i really want a beating dog, but im not allowed to get a pup till after the summer.

the cocker is from a good working kennel, has a stedy pace and i feel he would be great.... BUT when he hears a gun he seems to shut down and run for cover. is there a way i can cure this?

getting a dog used to the sound of a gun should start at an early age( ideally with the bitch).often the gun is fired too close to the dog.once shyness has set in it can be difficult to remedy.

start by firing the gun a long way off ( 100 meter) and move closer( keep the dog busy the whole time( retrieving/bushing/playing) keep at it untill the dog shows no response to the gun at close range,often the coupling of shot game with the sound will help.

good luck.

Buy this weeks shooting times. There is several pages on this very topic.

you can do what waildmann said i did but when i shot the gun i made sure that the dog have something after like a dead pigeon or rabbit it soon gets to no that wheh you shoot some thing comes out of it it worked for me

its all about getting your dog to associate the shot with something he enjoys eg a retreive a bit of food anything really but be sure to av some one else to help you let them fire the pistol a long way off preferably down wind of u take the shot away from him an as he gets better jus take him closer to the shot but it will take time dont rush it because it will set him back atb hope that helps you a little.

Edited by buggsbunny

its all about getting your dog to associate the shot with something he enjoys eg a retreive a bit of food anything really but be sure to av some one else to help you let them fire the pistol a long way off preferably down wind of u take the shot away from him an as he gets better jus take him closer to the shot but it will take time dont rush it because it will set him back atb hope that helps you a little.

i take mo=ine to the game fairs and go on the clay shooting they always like to see me do it its as if they missing out so they get used to it its a mind game to dogs

Buy this weeks shooting times. There is several pages on this very topic.

you can do what waildmann said i did but when i shot the gun i made sure that the dog have something after like a dead pigeon or rabbit it soon gets to no that wheh you shoot some thing comes out of it it worked for me

perhaps need you to shoot it for me

hi,

i started mine on the air rifle....not too much noise and Bilbo was preoccupied exploring at about 14 weeks old. within a couple of sessions he had started to associate the gun with the prey and never looked back. went up to the rimfire and again no problem, then onto the shotgun; made sure he was off running and a distance away the first few shots but he was soon not bothered about it as well.

make sure he is enjoying what he is doing and build it up....it wont take long!!!

ATB