Trapping Rats near aviary

Hello lads,

Looking for some advice on how to trap rats in my garden near my aviary.

I have seen some rats in my neighbours garden which is heavily overgrown and am worried that they could get into my aviary and kill my birds!

I was thinking of getting some Mark IV Fenns? Are these the best tools for the job? I have a dog so am a bit hesitant in using any poisons or would bait boxes be a good idea?

I know this topic has probably been discussed before but I want to act as fast as possible.

Thanks for the advice.

Hurlock

Cheers mate, i've knocked up some tunnels with ply wood as per JohnB's site.

Hopefully they do the trick. Should I set the tunnels up first before I put the traps in so the rats get used to them and should I leave traps (which will be new) outside to become weathered and remove the "new" smell?

Cheers lads

Hurlock

Have had the same problem near my chickens have found the only effective control is poison blocks which I put down on my own ground and in neighbours sheds who I always ask as its helping them always make sure the blocks are secured with a coat hanger or wire through them because the rats will simply take the blocks away and store them have fallen foul of this in the past cost me a fortune in blocks till I found their store You can then watch the blocks and see if they are being eaten. But by far the best bait in a live catch rat trap is a mouse which you can catch easily in the small live catch mouse traps i always have a rat in the trap when I bait it with a live mouse.