whippet as gun dog ???

ty21

Hmm, depends on the dog and how good of a trainer you are I suppose! I have known a half Doberman half GSD to be a brilliant hare dog, running hares into herds of cattle to corner them and catch them! lol. And Dobermans as gundogs. But that just shows Dobermans versatility I spose. I don't know mate to be honest!

I think you could if you worked at the dog from an early age and knew what you were doing.

I have sent one of mine to find and retrieve dead rabbits, but thats about the limit of my expertise. Someone who has trained gundogs and who has a stack of patience could take it much further.

Dave

It would depend very much on the dog, my Lurcher will retrieve runners that have not been killed cleanly, but if they are stone dead he looses interest, but as for the hunting and trainability of the whippet it should do a job for you.

Dave.

just wondering how hard would it be to train a whippet to be a gun dog ?? thanks :D

you do not train the dog to it its in it if you get what i mean mate. its all about time like you take the dog out walking and one day you take the gun and not the dog get home with rabbits and then you dog wil think wow he goes with the gun and fetches rabbits home they soon get it.

its all about watching them spendtime with them ,dont take them out lock them up till next day let them see you do other things to