bullet weight for a 1 10 twist barrel ``

1 in 10 should shoot right upto 95 maybe 100g no problem at all....

may 1 in 10 did'nt like 100g shooting them around 1 to 1 1/2 inches.. not good enough for me..

87g should be no problem at all...

look at a good copper cleaning routine, as this could cause the accuracy loss.

Snap.

Totally agree with SS above, 100g can sometimes be funny, and particularly in the Tikka, fortunately mine seems ok but I use 90g SP almost exclusively and it does the business!!

Are you loading or buying factory ammo???

yep cheers deker see some one is on the same wave length :gunsmilie:

hi guys ,

the 243 seems a fickle thing to load for what works for one wont work for others my howa hates noslers below 90 grains but 90 grainer will one hole with 37 grains of varget also loves 87 grain v maxes only light bullet got to work so far is a 70 grain sierra blitzking with 40 grains of varget again a one holer as near as dammitt but cant get 70 grain matchkings to work yet for some paper punching. now my mate has a sako that will shoot the same loads but his likes noslers and hate sierra blitzkings also his likes vitavouri powders and dosent seem to preform with varget .

the 243 was designed to shoot 70 to 90 grain bullets as a general guide but experience and trial and error have pushed those boundries down two 55 grains and up to 100 grains most people seem to accept you need 1in 91/4 or faster to shoot the 105 amaxes or other match bullets but you may be lucky and have a 1 in 10 that will work with them.

graham.

• 1 month later...

hi mate i am using n160 hnbt 87 gn but group is 1" 2" not as tight as i would have thought but 100gn fed are grouping at half inch

N160 is a dirty powder in a 243 especially if you use a benchrest or cooler primer, I have found the french vectan powders far cleaner and consistent than N160, I have also found that there is a problem getting the unburnt powder deposits out of the 243 barrel, in all my years shooting 243 I have found several nasty chemicals that will take that powder deposit out, but nothing beats decanted Brasso and then filtered,you end up with a clear liquid that takes the crap out of barrels in no time, soak a bit of 4x2 in the clear liquid, then give the barrel a clean, and see the black crap come out, when a patch comes out clean, then use your normal gun cleaning chemicals to take the copper off.

Now someone is going to scream that braso will damage a barrel, yes it will, but not if it is filtered to a clear liquid, and it does extend barrel life, my current 243 has 3600 plus rounds through it, and I am expecting it to go south any time, yet a friend with the same gun got only 2200 rounds through his.

Try seating the bullet to 20 thou of the lands and try again, the 1 in 10 should have no problems with the 87g v-max.... something doesn't sound right if your shooting it to 2 inches something is up...!! are you flinching at all...!!sometimes it does take alot of time to develop the sweet load... and then things just fall into place...if you have no joy with the n160 i suggest you try varget... however it is a temperature sensitive powder.....but varget is also real good in the .243.hope you get sorted out soon.Snap.

• 2 weeks later...

yep cheers deker see some one is on the same wave length :gunsmilie:

hi guys ,

the 243 seems a fickle thing to load for what works for one wont work for others my howa hates noslers below 90 grains but 90 grainer will one hole with 37 grains of varget also loves 87 grain v maxes only light bullet got to work so far is a 70 grain sierra blitzking with 40 grains of varget again a one holer as near as dammitt but cant get 70 grain matchkings to work yet for some paper punching. now my mate has a sako that will shoot the same loads but his likes noslers and hate sierra blitzkings also his likes vitavouri powders and dosent seem to preform with varget .

the 243 was designed to shoot 70 to 90 grain bullets as a general guide but experience and trial and error have pushed those boundries down two 55 grains and up to 100 grains most people seem to accept you need 1in 91/4 or faster to shoot the 105 amaxes or other match bullets but you may be lucky and have a 1 in 10 that will work with them.

graham.

I have standard Remington 243 VSL, which is use for both the odd fox and target shooting, mostly I use a 22 for fox due to doing most of my foxing in old orchards, which makes it more like jungle combat than anything, anyway off subject,

I find 70 grain sierra matchkings work very well out to 600 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3100fps, but they will go subsonic at about 750 yards, but i prefer the Lapua 90grain Scenars for long range or high wind target work, if you can get the velocity up to 3200fps then you have a very accurate long range round that performs out past 1000 yards, people might sneer about the size of the 243, and make comments it wont work at more than a few hundred yards, but I think anyone who uses one for long range target work will soon change their minds, a 90 grain 243 at 1000yards retains more velocity and more energy than many 308's, it will also print out a very much tighter group,

for target work I use

Sierra 70grn matchkings,

Hornady 80grn FMJ very accurate out to 600 meters

Lapua 90grn scenars, the best, though not good at close ranges, 100 yards or so. only use for 600 to 1000 yards.

N140, 39.4 grains, 70 to 80 grain bullet 3100fps dirty powder if used with bench rest primers,

Acurrate 2520 34 grns 70 to 80 grain bullet 3011fps don't like it.

Vectan TU 3000 38.7 grns 70 to 80 grain bullet 3200fps very good,easy to clean barrels.

H4831C 48 grns 90grn Scenar 3200fps, bloody magic for long range

The vectan powders are about as good as it gets, due mostly I think to the fact that the french powders are made for those calibres under 308, so the 6mm through to 7mm are common in France, where as the 308's are not, but thats just my opinion.

As for reloading, as I only have the one 243, I full length resize the cases once, after that I only neck size and have never had any problems, I also grind the bump of the decaping pin, as this just works the brass excessively, so I do not neck expand at all, I neck size the case down, then expand the neck out again using the bullet when I seat the head, this gives a very much more consistent neck tension. It also doubles the life of a case, which is a fair saving when it comes to reloading.

I used to like RCBS Dies, but I have found the Redding reloading 3 die sets to be superior, in that they do not cause a doughnut of brass round the neck of the case, again a big time saver.

Finally I have also found that moly coated bullets really do save time when it comes to cleaning, also it does extend barrel life, I have put somewhere inthe region of 3600 243's though my remmy, and I admit is wearing out fast, but a mate of mine only got about 2200 out of his, so it seems to work,

When this barrel goes, I will change it for a stainless steel barrel, in standard 243 and with a 1 in 8 rifle twist, and Ill see how that does in comparison to the standard remmy barrel.

hi lads if you dont mind me saying a few words but iv only been reloading a few montha & already have found a round & load that works for my cz 550 .243 witch is a fedral shell,powder n160, powder weight 43g, bullet sierra 85 g h/p,primer cci 200, total lenth of round is 67.5 mm. & they are grouping with in half inch @ 150 yards