Shotgun certificate

Hi, Just applyed for my certificate with west yorkshire police.. Still waiting to hear from them at the moment, but im a little worried about my previous convictions.. It states "previous convictions" so I didnt declare the caution I recieved about 2 years ago for section 47 assault... I told them i had been convicted of drink driving, driving without insurance and driving without a license.. When infact I was charged with driving without license and insurance 3 times..

Will any of these things affect my application? If I mention it when they come round will I be ok or will they be questioning why I didnt tell them "everything"....?

Thanks

Shaun

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ummm to be blunt yes...........

its bad enough having history of driving offences but withholding info on assault big no no.you do realise that you are lying to the people that charged you they will check and will find out. you should have told them straight i dont fancy your chances to be honest but hopefully im wrong for your sake.

its bad enough having history of driving offences but withholding info on assault big no no.you do realise that you are lying to the people that charged you they will check and will find out. you should have told them straight i dont fancy your chances to be honest but hopefully im wrong for your sake.

But it didnt state cautions on the form so i didnt include it.. I wasnt witholding it from them as I know they would find out anyway.. I simply didnt include it as It didnt state cautions.. It just says " have you been CONVICTED of any offence"

But it didnt state cautions on the form so i didnt include it.. I wasnt witholding it from them as I know they would find out anyway.. I simply didnt include it as It didnt state cautions.. It just says " have you been CONVICTED of any offence"

Like you, i have just recently sent off my shotgun certificate to west yorkshire police. What i did, as i have previous is i payed £10 to west yorkshire police to send me a list of my previous convictions. It came back with the common assault and a drunken disorderly i had years ago, but it didnt have anything else on there, like you i got done for no license or insurance and a few other minor things. So where do i stand??

Like you, i have just recently sent off my shotgun certificate to west yorkshire police. What i did, as i have previous is i payed £10 to west yorkshire police to send me a list of my previous convictions. It came back with the common assault and a drunken disorderly i had years ago, but it didnt have anything else on there, like you i got done for no license or insurance and a few other minor things. So where do i stand??

I wish I had done that, then could have sent the list back and answered the question with "see attached notes"... i was not out to hide anything.. Did you write these on your form? and were you charged with the offences or cautioned? also when did you send your form off?

Edited by Shaunm41

probably the best thing to do is call your fao and explain to him that you have since found out that you should have put EVERYTHING on the application.

and if it would be possible to correct the form before it goes further.

he may say you would be better off withdrawing the application.

good luck.

probably the best thing to do is call your fao and explain to him that you have since found out that you should have put EVERYTHING on the application.

good luck.

Exactly what this chap says :thumbs:

Withholding information regarding ANY convictions, however small, is a BIG NO NO and could well land you in more trouble for not declaring it. :thumbdown::doh:

With reference to Edge007, Ask yourself if you were the issuing constabulary "would you trust someone with convictions for common assault and being drunken and disorderly with possession of a shotgun " ? I dont know the ins and outs but I would say your chances are Very slim to say the least. IMO Depends on the circumstances and how long ago it occured.

Edited by Sound Moderator
Withholding information regarding ANY convictions, however small, is a BIG NO NO and could well land you in more trouble for not declaring it. :thumbdown::doh:

Ask yourself if you were the issuing constabulary "would you trust someone with convictions for common assault and being drunken and disorderly with possession of a shotgun " ? I dont know the ins and outs but I would say your chances are Very slim to say the least. IMO Depends on the circumstances and how long ago it occured.

As i have stated...... the issue is a CAUTION.............. not a conviction..........

good luck.

Debating or arguing the toss on here is not going to help....this is about as good a response as you could get, so I would suggest you act on it asap!

Best of luck!

I wish I had done that, then could have sent the list back and answered the question with "see attached notes"... i was not out to hide anything.. Did you write these on your form? and were you charged with the offences or cautioned? also when did you send your form off?

I sent mine off about a month ago, i rang first and they send just write see attached notes on application form. I was cautioned for drunk/disorderly and convicted of common assault. This was 11 years ago so hope it still wont count!! i am a member of a clay pigeon club, and got insurance through BASC so really hope i get it, doesnt sound like i will after reading the other posts on here. The cheque has been cashed though.

As i have stated...... the issue is a CAUTION.............. not a conviction..........

If you have accepted a caution it is classed as an admission of guilt.

Yes I understand that, But it is still not a criminal conviction.. Therefore it shouldnt have to be declared on a question asking for convictions.. should they not state "convictions, cautions or warnings" in the question?

I sent mine off about a month ago, i rang first and they send just write see attached notes on application form. I was cautioned for drunk/disorderly and convicted of common assault. This was 11 years ago so hope it still wont count!! i am a member of a clay pigeon club, and got insurance through BASC so really hope i get it, doesnt sound like i will after reading the other posts on here. The cheque has been cashed though.

You sent it a month ago and still not heard anything? Have they not rang to arrange to come see you? Mine is coming up to 2 weeks now.... They cashed my cheque within the 1st week... I heard you get your money back if its refused, although Im not sure about this...