Duck flight times and what cartridges?

Well i have found a pond with duck on it on our farm and have been feeding it for a week. A few duck are coming onto it now but i shall leave it another week before shooting it. So from what i understand flight times are dawn and dusk is this right? and also do they come to or from the pond in the morning? im thinking they spend the day on the pond and night off it but really i don't have a clue. I'm heading to the gun shop tomorrow to pick up some cartridges to get ready. I'm thinking of getting some of the new Eley Bismuth vip ones, are these good ones to be getting after all they are a bit steep so are they the right ones to get? thanks all for any help

George

hi i would say number 7 with a 32 to 36gram load would be good for you with a 1/2 choke

happy hunting :gunsmilie:

i would go in and sit and watch it for a night or two then you would know what time the duck come in then

go in and shoot it

atb clay man

Edited by clay man

just to add when you go to look stay well back so you do not put them off, go in well before it's get dark and wait a good hour or so , you get your shots , also watch it in the morning to see if there coming in then go in well before it gets bright, as for shots 7's good enought if you think there going to be close, let us know how you get on

atb sounder

i've been using 3in steel number 3 shot, its about 8 pound a box - thats really cheap i think compared to some of the hevi-shot type stuff.... if i was taking longer range shots at high birds i might invest in some expensive stuff, but shooting birds at short ranges off of a pond i cant see the need. ;)

if this pond is a day pond then you will have to walk them off for a couple of wks and i would feed little but often so they are in a hurry to get back at night for some grub. thats if you plan on shooting at dusk, which is prob best time to shoot duck,saying that ive never shot a flight pond at first light so it might work. but def better sitting at pond a waiting to see what comes in is a must.

i would use the gamebore steel no4 2 3/4they will do the job out to 35-40 yard but wouldnt imagine they will be that far out.