Fallow Buck Head

Thanks Tommy and Wireviz. Interesting, I'll probably put it forward then at the next CLA. But what is more interesting for me is that this was one of the very first prickets that I let go through to the next year seven years ago. So you just get a feeling of satisfaction thinking that the herd is thriving through the decisions that I've made along the way. That was the third best head in there as well. Again thanks for you help and comments everyone.

Good on you for managing them like you do. Its all about getting the right age structure in the males and then the right stocking numbers/ratios. When done properly the rewards are terrific. It helps having the right genetics from the start though for sure. We tend to shoot bucks out a little bit older than that, just before they start to go back thus making sure they pass on their genetics.

Thanks Tommy and Wireviz. Interesting, I'll probably put it forward then at the next CLA. But what is more interesting for me is that this was one of the very first prickets that I let go through to the next year seven years ago. So you just get a feeling of satisfaction thinking that the herd is thriving through the decisions that I've made along the way. That was the third best head in there as well. Again thanks for you help and comments everyone.

Good on you for managing them like you do. Its all about getting the right age structure in the males and then the right stocking numbers/ratios. When done properly the rewards are terrific. It helps having the right genetics from the start though for sure. We tend to shoot bucks out a little bit older than that, just before they start to go back thus making sure they pass on their genetics.

Thanks Tommy. I know it's a small complaint but I only have between 70 and 90 does, limited acreage, and if I kept all the bucks untill they go back I just end up with them fighting like hell and not concentrating on the job in hand. Currently running five master bucks, two sores, three sorels. That's ten and it gets a little heated at times. That said it is great to have sole responsibility for the herd and once I get to the end of the cull it's great to just glass the herd and feel happy with the years work. Do you cull parks as well?

Thanks Tommy. I know it's a small complaint but I only have between 70 and 90 does, limited acreage, and if I kept all the bucks untill they go back I just end up with them fighting like hell and not concentrating on the job in hand. Currently running five master bucks, two sores, three sorels. That's ten and it gets a little heated at times. That said it is great to have sole responsibility for the herd and once I get to the end of the cull it's great to just glass the herd and feel happy with the years work. Do you cull parks as well?

Sounds just right, Fallow arent the easiest to cull in parks so its nice to put the effort into quality and not quantity. Yeah i do a little in a park

Park? very challanging :thumbdown:

perks, have you shot fallow in a park?

Perks, I shoot between two and three hundred deer in parks every year on a semi professional basis. On top of that I shoot between ten and twenty wild deer as well. I can put my hand on heart and say that to cull ten to twenty deer out of a park in a day is a hell of alot harder that popping out to stalk and shoot a wild deer, that's if you are any good will be completeley oblivious to you being there, thus enabling the shot to be taken at your leisure. You may, if lucky get two deer on the floor in a park before they're on to you. If you have any experiance of this then you will be aware that the master bucks will always head straight into the centre of the herd thus making any clean shot without any risk of splintering anyother deer very hard indeed. That shot will only ever present for a couple of seconds and you have to take that shot instinctivley. No pondering, no faffing around with a rangefinder just instinctive shooting.

I am the first to admit that I would have loved to have shot this head in the wild, but around these parts you will not find them. But to say that it was not a challenging shot just shows that you havn't been there and done it. This buck was a high neck shot, just behind the ear, at 220yds. Not challenging eh?

Edited by sorel-2007

:clapper::tongue2:

Park? very challanging :thumbdown:

perks, have you shot fallow in a park?

Perks, I shoot between two and three hundred deer in parks every year on a semi professional basis. On top of that I shoot between ten and twenty wild deer as well. I can put my hand on heart and say that to cull ten to twenty deer out of a park in a day is a hell of alot harder that popping out to stalk and shoot a deer, that if you are any good will be completeley oblivious to you being there, thus enabling the shot to be taken at your leisure. You may, if lucky get two deer on the floor in a park before they're on to you. If you have any experiance of this then you will be aware that the master bucks will always head straight into the centre of the herd thus making any clean shot without any risk of splintering anyother deer very hard indeed. That shot will only ever present for a couple of seconds and you have to take that shot instinctivley. No pondering, no faffing around with a rangefinder just instinctive shooting.

I am the first to admit that I would have loved to have shot this head in the wild, but around these parts you will not find them. But to say that it was not a challenging shot just shows that you havn't been there and done it. This buck was a high neck shot, just behind the ear, at 220yds. Not challenging eh?