working terriers

Guest dogbreath2004

personally , i would class a decent terrier is one that is doing 30+ per year..and several over the 2 hour mark in big earths...but thats JMHO.....but i aint seen many dogs up to standard, especially so with white one... :angel: dont forget lads...talk is cheap and only beleive what you have seen.... good hunting..JD :icon_eek:

I am not a fan of Jack Russels I find them to noisy in kennels,white lakelands,white patterdales,white Borders :D are not Jack Russels.The picture of the JR for sale in the classifides IMHO is what I would call a JR.For all of that even I know there are working lines of JR out there its just finding them thats the problem,the same problem with all terriers.You will have to cover some miles in your quest to sorte the wheat from the chaff,the pretenders and the wasteage from show bred litters will be offered as working potential,politely decline,and move on.

When you find what your looking for there will probably be a bit of a que. :)

<_< As we say a white Lakeland or White patterdale is not a jr!!!

Lets be fair JRS are shiyt at diggin!!!!!! :cry:

now then ,i know of several white terriers that will stay and be dug too all day if thats what you want but as i recall russels were bolting dogs not digging dogs the phrase horses for courses springs to mind there are places that CANT be dug (well there are where i go)and a good bolting dog is the preferance !

if you want to dig get a dog to dig to ,if you want to bolt get a bolting dog .................now you lot should know better than to spout about various dogs and their digging worth!

i have seen many black dogs jack ,many borders jack ,many of all kinds of terrier jack .......horses for courses!

yis fellman

well maybe they have become a bolting dog .........i dunno but there are GOOD working russells around .........yis fellman

I believe the The Rev Jack Russel also enjoyed a spot of otter work and even Badger digging,now a dog that didnt mix it to much was of preferance but I think a good stayer would have been admired.As the JR seems to be loosing a lot of its working ability a lot of its supporters have started re writing history.A good game staying(not over hard)terrier was probably the aim then, not to much different from the goals we set ourselves in the present.Not every fox wants to bolt and some need more than gentle persuasion.

my opinion on a dog getting dug to over the 30 mark each year is that it will obvisouly not be hard dog, that goes to ground trying to eat its quarry, but a dog that worrys the arse of the quarry, baying like mad, mixing it a little bit if need be, but being sensible about it. a dog that uses its voice freely more than its bite can be dug to 3/4 times a day. i prefer a bayer. saves time and money.

Some terriers will manage to destroy a fox in no time at all and have the knack of taking very little punishment,its easy to decry the use of hard dogs by saying they are always layed up,good in theory but not always the case in practice.

3 or 4 bolts a day sounds nice but if those foxes wont bolt and if you havnt got a game dog you might be going home empty handed.

A picture of a game dog who was very rarely dug to with a live fox and who took very little punishment,quite simple to dig more than 2or3 a day with more than once a week.

Ive been thinking about the "30+ a year" phrase, now is that over 12 months (no close season for vermin/pest control) or over the autumn and winter. Would I be write in saying that a 30+ a year dog is one that doesnt take a lot of punishment? IF so does this affect the performance against, lets say educated stuff.

The reason I ask is my young black dog 3 weeks back was dug to a vixen 45 minutes maximum (the black and white photo in thread springtime pest control)now It will be at least another 2 weeks before hell be ready/fit again. So I dont think ill be getting 30+ a year with him.

Im asking what style would a 30+ a year dog work like? What type/lines/breeds.

YIS

WAZ

it was only a figure of speech and only my own personal opinion on my own dogs,....its each to their own and i certainly wasnt running down anyones dogs if they dont get that many....IMHO,i like a dog that can work every day..., the figure was only in the season...and it was just one persons point of view... :good: good hunting...JD