First Hunt of Season

SeanTheHawker

First of, sorry but no pics

Went to work as usual, knowing that there was goign to be very heavy rain, i wasnt expecting any flying at all when i got home. but come 1 oclock there was still no cloud about so decided to head home, get the ferrets and bird and go back to work.rolf was 1lb 5.5oz. left work at 4:45 and arrived at huntign ground around 6:15. the sun was still beaming, and it was so clear i could see scotland in the horizon. little wind coming of the cliffs but not to much to worry about. got the bird on the fist and headed off down the road. fella in a car stoped and asked about the bird, he said he was a photographer and would love to take some photos of him, so never knwo guys you might see some action pictures this year. got his number and headed of. crossed teh road into a field and right away we had the first flight, rabbit wasnt close to cover and half way through the flight rolf went up into a tree. then we headed up the first set that i could hardly find with the cover. ferret down, 10 minutes later no sign of a rbabit so locater came out. located the ferret and started digging, but he moved. spent 10 minutes trying to find him but he was still moving, so eventually i left him and the box at the hole while i walked down teh hedgrow to a few rabbits i could see. he made a few half heartly flights but still not trying hard enough, his weight was spot on, but just didnt have the confidence. then went back to the set, still no sign of teh ferret, so again out comes teh locater, thnakfully as i was looking I seen come out and sniff around the box. put him in it and headed of. went down teh far side of teh hedgerow we already did and he started to chase properly now, making a few stoops and having plenty of near misses. sometimes after missing he would soar a little bit as the wind was pickign up from under the cliffs. got him on the fist and decided to try a set in the next field that didnt look to thick. it was now 7:45 and getting late. ferert down. few minutes later rabbit bolted, rolf chased but it went back into the set. decided to let him sit on the post he landed on and i hid on up the fenceline. again a rabbit bolted but still didnt bolt fully, (last year they bolted brilliantly out of this set). so i headed back even more. it was now about 8 oclock and looking as if i would have to give him the end of the rations on the lure. so turned my back to hime and started to tied the rest of teh chick to the dummy. i heard bells, so i turned to see a rabbit along the fencline, all rolf had to did really is drop, wasnt more than a 10 yard flight. head shot! first rabbit of teh season. dispatched it and then got the ferert in the box . then went over and opened teh rabbit and watched rolf have his first peice of warm meat in a long time, took him of with the liver of teh rabbit and headed back to the car just as it got dark. when i got home i noticed it had abssolutley bucketed and garden was soaked right through. just glad i didnt go for a local hunt lol

Not the best of flights, but defintly a positive confidence booste. and will be out tomorrow night, im sure he will be tryign alot harder now that hes had a little reminder of the reward he gets when he connects :D