harbour/river mullet

hello everyone, me and a couple of of friends went down to the local river to fish for the vast quantitys of mullet that seem to congregate there. we fished with spinners flies and bait using bread,sweetcorn,worms and maggots. the fish were rising and splashing about and looked very easy to catch but would not touch anything. you could see them swimming about but getting a hook into there mouth seems to be harder than it looks!!!!! does anyone have any experience with these fish??? thanks very much :signthankspin::signthankspin::signthankspin:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

We used to get them round the Out Flows, pontoons and bridges down home, mate. Spear gun sorts them out as they hang there in the water, tormenting ye ;)

Old mate of mine and his oppo were once going through what you went through. Kiddie came along with a bit of line and a matchstick. Couple of turns round the match, bit of something stuck to it and dropped it in. Mullet sucked it straight it. Tug. Match straightened out sideways and the boy hauled him up.

My mate was so disgusted he threw the lad all his own, expensive and elaborate kit and stormed off in a huff. Never to go fishing again! :laugh: Perfectly true story, that is.

Guest Bodach

Watched Matt Hayes fishing for mullet on tv, fishing the brackish water of a river mouth, ground baited with bread and did not start fishing untill the mullet were feeding well on the bread, never caught one but looked great fun on the correct gear.

B

when the fish were rolling on top of the water and sticking there fins and tails out, i seriously thought about the net!!!! were gonna go back on friday night or saturday so will try groundbaiting with bread. were even going to try fishing through the night to see if that produces better results. going pike fishing on friday morning so the mullet will have to wait!! any more help will be thankfully received :signthankspin::signthankspin::signthankspin:

i was using 12 foot match rod 4lb mainline line to 3lb htn. i used a stick float to start with then changed to a bubble float to give extra casting distance. the fish were circling round my bait and looked like they would take anything. they were even circling round the float and knocking it off course of were i wanted it to go! its so frustrating

Guest martyn

when i was a kid, (quite a while ago, i can just about remember it)

we had a caravan next to a little harbour, loads of mullet, and my brother and i were very keen fishermen , nearly every day was spent sea fishing.

in the 10 years we had the caravan, we only ever caught mullet by whipping the hooks when the mullet were sucking on the bait, and the hook sticking in the mullet anywhere it could,

good luck with the float fishing for them, better off with a air rifle...

we had a caravan next to a little harbour, loads of mullet, and my brother and i were very keen fishermen , nearly every day was spent sea fishing.

in the 10 years we had the caravan, we only ever caught mullet by whipping the hooks when the mullet were sucking on the bait, and the hook sticking in the mullet anywhere it could,

Caught a couple this year meself.

Firewall kicking in me thinks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, been mulleting today off Plymouth's ***** Pier, its been poor of late but I thought I would give it ago anyway. Using my 13ft porky pig feeder rod I float fished bread at a depth of about 4 feet on a size 10 wide gape hook with a grayling float on 6lb mainline. Had 4 mullet, 2 at about a pound and 2 at about 2 1/2 pound, great fun, off again tomorrow. All the best.