sika stag

after my exploits up the hill to shoot my red stag it but almost killed me so i decided to have a go for the a sika stag. i had seen a cracker on the road the first day so my hopes of getting a good one was high. the keeper said he had seen a good stag at a clear fell so we went to have a look. we got to the clear fell about 6pm we waited a while before a sika hind showed up we sat and watched for ages and were eaten alive by the midges, shit left the jungle formula in the truck they played hell with me. then a few more hinds came out that took my mind off the midges. then a stag appeared out of the forest and stood on this rock looking around, he was with without doubt a cracker my heart started pounding this stag was something else he was a fair way off, 250 yards plus. the keeper whispered, wait he should make his way up towards us. no such luck he was heading away it was now or never f**K i had just missed a stag of a life time :wallbash: the stag took off like a bat out of hell and took his hinds with him back to the safety of the forest the keeper said to me, what happened there. i new exactly what had happened i had pulled the shot i was gutted. the next morning i was at a different location, at first light i stalked along the edge of the forest, looking out in to the fields i spied a red stag but he was not what i was after i wanted a good sika. i got to about 80 yards to the red i then had to wait for him to go because he was going the same way i wanted to go. so i let him go at his own pace. i watched him move off slowly browsing as he went and he didnt have a clue i was there once he was out of sight i made my way in the same direction i spied some sika hinds out on a clear fell but no stag. as i made my way closer a stag appeared i dropped to my knees he was a nice stag but nowhere as good as the one i missed the night before he was only about 80yards away so i put the cross hairs on the shoulder, thump he went straight down a nice stag but not the one i was looking for. last night, last change to get the stag i wanted we set off at 6pm the only deer i saw were red hinds i sat and waited. then on dark 40yards away coming out of the forest a black shape you could see instantly this was a good stag no mistake my heart started thumping out of my chest. this time i was not going to miss the same shot as before cross hairs on the shoulder, thump the stag took off crashing through the trees. i new he was hit and had not gone far the keeper had told me in the beginig to take them through the shoulder as they take a bit of stopping even with a 30.06. it was dark now so we had to use the dog we sent her in and within minites she had found him he had gone in 100 yards what a fantastic end to a fantastic week.

post-29585-1254163424_thumb.jpg

Edited by wboulter