Malt extract & cod liver oil

Hi All,

I have been given a jar of Malt extract and cod liver oils. i am told that this will be good for my 12 week old Bull/Grey x Whippet.

Has anybody had any experience with using this and if so what was the results. i just dont want to give him anything that i shouldnt.

Thanks

Paul

Cod Liver oil is a high energy substance with significant calorie content and rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin D and E.

If animals need nutritional supplementation of energy or Vitamin A then cod liver oil (and other fish oils) can be given to them but if the pet is eating a regular balanced diet there is fear of exceeding the limit of Vitamin intake actually required by the body. Also commercial pet foods which are available in most places are already loaded with large amounts of vitamins thereby reducing the need to take in extra supplements. Excess Intake of Vitamin A can lead to a build up of toxins in the body causing debilitating conditions like joint pain, lameness and spinal problems. In such cases foods like liver and cod liver oil are best avoided especially if the condition turns chronic.

Actually a teaspoon of cod liver oil provides enough quantity of the vitamin A for one week to a small dog. The prepared vitamins are not necessary for a healthy normal dog that receives a balanced diet, although they are good for dogs subjected to stress or convalescent.

Therefore it is advisable to give the cod liver oil supplementation only after consulting the vet so that excess doses of it are not given to the pet.as for malt extract,thats good for em but again id see a vet about the dosage,the only supplement i use is top quality seaweed along side the barf diet,the outcome is 1 very happy healthy dog :victory: