training collers for lurcher

Any one used dog training collers with there lurchers ??? the shock type ones?? thinking of getting one for my lurcher nearly 2 yrs old second season just started and playing up abit. any info on these collers would be great and if [NO TEXT TALK] has one for sale or anyone reccomend a certain one

cheers

Any one used dog training collers with there lurchers ??? the shock type ones?? thinking of getting one for my lurcher nearly 2 yrs old second season just started and playing up abit. any info on these collers would be great and if [NO TEXT TALK] has one for sale or anyone reccomend a certain one

cheers

What do you hope to achieve by shoking your dog buddy?

What type of training have you tryed before thinking of this method of training?

What is the dog doing wrong that you want correcting mate.

In the wrong hands you can cause a lot of damage to a dog with an E coller, so be sure what your doing and if basic training can help then i would use that first

ATB Dougie

Hi thanks for the reply. basically i have not long started running my lurcher for his second season. i have trained the dog to a satisfactory level ofm obidence ect and last season the dog did great retrieve catch rabbits everything was fine. this season is a diffrent matter he will catch rabbits retrieve as before retrieve dummys anything i ask of him. however if he misses the rabbit i swich the lamp off and whistle him back. he ignores this and sniffs about the field and has a trot about then returns after a short while. this is something he has never done and i am worried that he may begin hunting on.

i can slip him on a tuft of grass stone anything else lamp off he returns .

its a starnge one because he retrieves returns if theres nothing to run on but not after he has coursed a rabbit

i thought a shock coller would be enough to get his attention (bring him out of his own little world) and pay attention to my whistle.

i cannot think of anything else to try its like he goes in a trance and no matter how i whistle call he wont return until hes ready.

what are your thoughts on this ???

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think a shock collar would be recommended in this situation, a few of my mates have used this collar on their dogs, and its worked brilliant BUT it was used to stop sheep worrying and now they wont look at them twice. The only thing that u can do is time, make a certain gesture like what i do is flash the light at my feet so the dog knows when to come back, its just time and persistance.

Hope this helps

atb Rhian

Sounds to me like he is looking for the rabbit be lost? If he returns fine when there's nothing to chase, or once he has caught, but the only time he doesn't is when he loses the rabbit, then there is surely a reason for that?

I know I don't know anything about hunting but it doesn't sound as if his recall is a problem and if he is looking and sniffing about, searching, then that's what I would say it is. If there is the slightest possiblilty that this is the cause of the problem then a collar would be a bit unfair, but I do realise that you need him to come straight back to you when you want him!

I have seen them work on some gundog breeds but would not use one on a lurcher due imho that their physical structure is a lot different to a gundog breed.Only way a would be tempted if the dog was a stock worrier or like in america they showed an intrest in snakes but thats not a worry in this country.Have you tried a catapult with acorns or similar.atb dell