bit of advice needed

My remington 700 has a sort of semi-free floating barrel and in .270 i find it gets hot quickly and the POA moves, i was thinking about taking the stock off and removing the small stop that touches the barrel in the hope this will releive the problem somewhat.

However i was worried that the synthetic stock might be a bit flexible and would still end up touching the barrel when using the bipod - what do you think?

Any advice would be greatley appreciated! :notworthy:

My remington 700 has a sort of semi-free floating barrel and in .270 i find it gets hot quickly and the POA moves, i was thinking about taking the stock off and removing the small stop that touches the barrel in the hope this will releive the problem somewhat.

However i was worried that the synthetic stock might be a bit flexible and would still end up touching the barrel when using the bipod - what do you think?

Any advice would be greatley appreciated! :notworthy:

pm sent

its eather floating or not mate! if its free floating there should be clearence all the way to the breech

if its getting hot your firing off to quickly!! 5 shot strings and let it cool and yes poa will change with a warm barrell

good luck ;)

Not sure about your rifle but I can tell you a story about my old .22rf.

Many years ago, when mail order rifles were still legal I ordered a .22rf Savage from uttings, brand new rifle for only £100 odd. The trigger was crap, the stock was crap, in fact the whole rifle was rubbish. I emailed savage direct and they sent me a free trigger unit from the US with in three days! Great guys to deal with. I lived with the stock. The rifle was rubbish but produced one hole groups at 50 yards all day long, one thing that really bothered me was that the stock touched the barrel half way up, eventually amateur gunsmithing got the better of me and I took a sheet of sand paper to the stock in the hope of making the barrel fully floating and thus even more accurate, may be even producing half hole grouping at 50 yards :) I made a very good job of it, and to the casual observer you would have never known that the stock had been sanded, the rifle however did know that I had amputated the stock and after that day I was lucky to achieve 2" groups at 50 yards :(

I have no idea why such a small modification effected the rifle in such a detrimental way but it did, eventually the rifle was taken to the great policeman's bonfire in the sky and made in to a cars exhaust pipe no doubt.

John