Lamping Problems ....HELP

Hi guys my bull cross lurcher is now into his second season of lamping and problems have started. He runs the beam no problem catches rabbit no problem and will retrieve them to hand (not straight away but not a major wait). However this year if he misses a rabbit i turn the lamp off whistle and he doesnt return i can hear him runnning about the field then he comes back. he never did this last year and a after a missed rabbit he would have a sniff at the hedge or hole and return to the slip.

I can leave a rabbit or dummy in a feild and lamp this he will pick up and return straight to hand (better than if it was alive) i have also lamped a spot in the field tuft of grass ect he will run the beam see no rabbit and return no problem.

The problem seems to arise when he misses a rabbit he goes walk abouts. Its so disheartening as he never did this last season hes now nearly 2yrs and this was going to be a serious season for him.

any help on this would be grateful

cheers

steve

i agree that hes just a bit too eager, if hes only two he still isnt mature i had similair problems last season they eventually grow out of it as my 3year old dog has steadied down a great deal this season, just remember its all exciting and great fun to your dog all those unseen smells etc.