ladder training

Guest sharp shooter

I've never liked the idea of jump ups and ladder training, I think it makes the bird overly focussed on the glove. I perfer to fly the bird hard into the wind, time spent in the garden is better spent in the field. I've flown the bird in a 25 mph wind, thats normal for up here, it's excellent for fitness. :showoff: :guitar:

I was reading Jack Mavrogordato's A Hawk for the Bush today and he recomends ladder training, so don't take my word for it, it just doesn't work for me and my bird. Yeah keep us posted, we need more threads in the falconry section.

i think ladder training / jump ups is a great alternative when unable to get out due to very bad weather and greatly improves respose out in field

iv started jump ups this year and already have seen a great improvement in fitness and flying when in the field

although it has to be said flying the bird in high winds is very good to watch!!

but yeah jump ups are defo worth it imho

Edited by iceaz

You really need to try and get him on the scales, if he keeps bating off the scale just gentley and calmly put him back on, and keep doing it until he settles. Don't avoid problems, tackle them head on, things normally get worse before they get better.

What distance is he coming for a chick head? I don't think I'd fly far for a chick wing, get inside your birds head, think what he's thinking.

If you let us know what stage you're at with him we can help you with next step, normally in the beginning if he's not doing what you want then he's either not hungry enough or not manned enough.

The scales are important, you don't want him going to low.

Edited by Fletcher