.22 WMR or .17 HMR

I've got a WMR, mainly for rabbits (headshots unless you don't want the body). Hit them and they're dead... I also plan on taking a fox if the need arrises. I'm paying £17 per hundred for Winchester super-X (40 grain) so looks a bit cheaper than HMR. I've just ordered some CCI Vmax +V 30 grains though - they say these are generally more accurite and pack the biggest WMR punch.

Also consider if you can get some 22WRF or Winchester WMR Dynapoints these have the power of 22LR so can in effect giving the a very versatile gun. High power for long range rabbits or foxes and low power for mid/short range rabbits without big meat damage. I'm working on a source for those low power rounds at the moment...

'harrygrey382'

Have you ever used the WRF in a WMR, I've never owned a WRF but understood you could! Just been doing some checking for other ammo and the very clear instruction is.....

.22WRF and .22WMR are NOT interchangeable!

:thumbs:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'harrygrey382'

Have you ever used the WRF in a WMR, I've never owned a WRF but understood you could! Just been doing some checking for other ammo and the very clear instruction is.....

No I haven't - I can't find a place to get them at the moment. But when I do, they're going in my rifle.

After a lot of reading of the subject I have gathered this: Winchester say you can load their WRF rounds in a WMR rifle, but not a revolver. Can't remeber why, might have been something do do with leading - they're low speed and I think not jacketed. CCI (the only other manufactuer I think) says you can't put their rounds in any wmr gun, but people do and reckon they say this to cover their arses in case someone puts one in a revolver.

So I'm still on the hunt for some WRF ammo. CCI doesn't seem to export them, so my hopes are with winchester at the mo, who are currently being difficult about shipping any 22 ammo because of fears of piracy an their from Australia.

Oh yeah and picked up some 30gr WMR Vmax Hornady rounds yesterday, haven't fired them yet though. That'll be tomorrow!

'harrygrey382'

No I haven't - I can't find a place to get them at the moment. But when I do, they're going in my rifle.

After a lot of reading of the subject I have gathered this: Winchester say you can load their WRF rounds in a WMR rifle, but not a revolver. Can't remeber why, might have been something do do with leading - they're low speed and I think not jacketed. CCI (the only other manufactuer I think) says you can't put their rounds in any wmr gun, but people do and reckon they say this to cover their arses in case someone puts one in a revolver.

So I'm still on the hunt for some WRF ammo. CCI doesn't seem to export them, so my hopes are with winchester at the mo, who are currently being difficult about shipping any 22 ammo because of fears of piracy an their from Australia.

Oh yeah and picked up some 30gr WMR Vmax Hornady rounds yesterday, haven't fired them yet though. That'll be tomorrow!

Where did you get them and how much did they cost please??

EDIT Been digging around a bit and found this..

.22 HORNADY WMR RIMFIRE! The NEW .22 Hornady Winchester Magnum Rifle delivers the pinnacle of rimfire performance. Its 30 gr VMAX bullet leaves the muzzle at 2,200 feet per second, and delivers levels of accuracy never before seen from this cartridge, and excellent terminal performance out to 125 yards. Hornady’s 22 WMR dramatically improves the accuracy of virtually any 22 WMR rifle.

This NEW Ammo from Hornady is only $9.22!

The bit that got me, as always, is the price...oh.... how we suffer in the UK!!!

Let me know how you get on with them..Cheers :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

.22 HORNADY WMR RIMFIRE! The NEW .22 Hornady Winchester Magnum Rifle delivers the pinnacle of rimfire performance. Its 30 gr VMAX bullet leaves the muzzle at 2,200 feet per second, and delivers levels of accuracy never before seen from this cartridge, and excellent terminal performance out to 125 yards. Hornady’s 22 WMR dramatically improves the accuracy of virtually any 22 WMR rifle.

The bit that got me, as always, is the price...oh.... how we suffer in the UK!!!

Got them from one of my locals - PM you his if you want, but it's norfolk - and paid £23/100

Will report on their performance, although I'm very embarrassed to say I am currently scopeless... So accuracy reporting may not be meaningful. Max working range is about 60 yards for rabbits.

So just to bang it home:

25102009317.jpg

Got them from one of my locals - PM you his if you want, but it's norfolk - and paid £23/100

Will report on their performance, although I'm very embarrassed to say I am currently scopeless... So accuracy reporting may not be meaningful. Max working range is about 60 yards for rabbits.

So just to bang it home:

25102009317.jpg

Cheers for that! I would be real interested in your view on the ammo when you get to check it properly.

I'm struggling a bit with the ballistics of these and the CCI equivilent, as far as I can see the bullet is the same and the muzzle velocity and energy of both is the same, yet at 100yards the CCI is travelling 150ft sec faster and carrying 30ft lb more. I've sent an email to CCI for confirmation and an explaination of how they have achieved this..time will tell, or not, as the case may be!

In the mean time I have an RFD who will order me CCI 0073, minimum delivery through GMK is 2000 rounds of the stuff which will cost £26 per 100, ie £520 total! Now, if this does deliver the extra speed/power over the Hornady I am interested, otherwise obviuosly not!

Hence why I am anxious to get your views and find some Hornady myself to try.

Cheers

I'd go for a .22 Hornet too. I'm selling one in the ads section if anyone's interested, just thought I'd get that out in the open before anyone picks up on it. The Hornet is a great round. I'm only selling mine because I want to play with a custom so have bought a .17AH!

The Hornet will do all a HMR or WMR will do, but can include fox at the same range! They're cheap to load for (about the same as HMR ammo) and offer more than twice the power. It's still mild compared to the bigger centrefires though, so you don't get the crazy muzzle blast and recoil from it. PM me if anyones interested or wants more info on the calibre, I'd be happy to share my knowledge.

Cheers for that! I would be real interested in your view on the ammo when you get to check it properly.

I'm struggling a bit with the ballistics of these and the CCI equivilent, as far as I can see the bullet is the same and the muzzle velocity and energy of both is the same, yet at 100yards the CCI is travelling 150ft sec faster and carrying 30ft lb more. I've sent an email to CCI for confirmation and an explaination of how they have achieved this..time will tell, or not, as the case may be!

In the mean time I have an RFD who will order me CCI 0073, minimum delivery through GMK is 2000 rounds of the stuff which will cost £26 per 100, ie £520 total! Now, if this does deliver the extra speed/power over the Hornady I am interested, otherwise obviuosly not!

Hence why I am anxious to get your views and find some Hornady myself to try.

Cheers

Sorry Deker - still haven't given them a proper go. Have taken the gun out for two days now, and I ended up having no time to hit some targets and do some proper comparing. So I still don't have anythig to report. Really hoping I'll be able to have a good go tomrrow.

I'm also just a bit worried my review will mean nothing because I'm waiting for a scope - as in waiting for christmas! The open sights are only good for 60yards MAX, really less. But will compare them with my super-x for the moment...

sorry on the slow replay again Deker. I did get a chance to have a go at some targets on thursday. And as the ultimate antilclimax, I can report I couldn't find a grouping difference between the Hornadys and good old winnie super-xs. I got about 1 - 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. This is with factory iron sites outside in a makeshift range, no wind though. I doubt if my findings hold mutch sway 'round here, but I can vouch for them giving rabits and squirrels a good seeing to. A sight is on it's way for christams - so I can post more meaningful thoughts then!

sorry on the slow replay again Deker. I did get a chance to have a go at some targets on thursday. And as the ultimate antilclimax, I can report I couldn't find a grouping difference between the Hornadys and good old winnie super-xs. I got about 1 - 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. This is with factory iron sites outside in a makeshift range, no wind though. I doubt if my findings hold mutch sway 'round here, but I can vouch for them giving rabits and squirrels a good seeing to. A sight is on it's way for christams - so I can post more meaningful thoughts then!

Appreciate the response but I hope they perform a bit better than that in mine, my RFD has ordered me some from Edgar Bros and expecting them in this week...I'll see how I get on.

Cheers