Mouse funnel trap

Can anyone help please, watched the video, looked at the pictures but still missing one important dimension.

4cms across for the funnel ok, how far off the bottom?

Does the mouse drop into the trap from the bottom of the tunnel or have to wriggle it's way in?

Why doesn't the mouse just climb out? :hmm:

Is it because the funnel is too narrow, too close to the bottom or shaped in some way?

OK then

First off you want the funnel diameter to be between 25mm and 35mm. 40mm (4cm) may be too big. Fish's trap was 25mm, mine was 35mm becuase I read the tape wrong :icon_redface:

The funnel is just a straight tube but if you want to squeeze it together a bit at the bottom that's fine, but not really necessary.

The tube finishes about 30mm away from the floor of the trap.

If you watch the three videos you'll see that the mouse climbs down the tube and out of the opening onto the trap floor.

As to why they can't escape I don't have a definitive answer but it's the same principle as the lobster pot or crayfish trap. The mice are physically capable of getting out - there is no locking door - but don't seem to grasp where the opening is. Partly this is because the funnel opens close to the ground so they'd have to do an 'under and up' movement. Secondly it's because the funnel is in the middle of the trap and if you watch this additional footage you'll see the mouse focuses on the edges all the time.

th_tryingtoescape.jpg

OK then

First off you want the funnel diameter to be between 25mm and 35mm. 40mm (4cm) may be too big. Fish's trap was 25mm, mine was 35mm becuase I read the tape wrong :icon_redface:

The funnel is just a straight tube but if you want to squeeze it together a bit at the bottom that's fine, but not really necessary.

The tube finishes about 30mm away from the floor of the trap.

If you watch the three videos you'll see that the mouse climbs down the tube and out of the opening onto the trap floor.

As to why they can't escape I don't have a definitive answer but it's the same principle as the lobster pot or crayfish trap. The mice are physically capable of getting out - there is no locking door - but don't seem to grasp where the opening is. Partly this is because the funnel opens close to the ground so they'd have to do an 'under and up' movement. Secondly it's because the funnel is in the middle of the trap and if you watch this additional footage you'll see the mouse focuses on the edges all the time.

th_tryingtoescape.jpg

if a mouse fineds its way out it will go in the trap and out at will iv had this the way to stop this is to squeeze the

bottom as john says a bit so they can only just get in.

Thanks guys, sems that the mistake I've made is the funnel is too close to the bottom, I'll try 30mm and see what happens.

How close did you have it Carnies ?

john b

1/2" , 13mm for some daft reason. :oops:

Still caught nothing and the bait isn't being touched so something else is awry :hmm: :hmm: or, the mouse bait has done it's job !

post-25189-1254223520_thumb.png

post-25189-1254223496.gif

Edited by camies

Hi Carnies

Well it's an inch and half taller than my trap but I can't imagine that would stop them.

Have you scattered some bait around the outside and on top ? If that doesn't go then you know you have no mice.

I really like the door though by the way - very neat. Can I nick that idea ?

John

Feel free to nick the idea, the wife thought of it as I was pondering how to hinge the top. :wub:

Wood was offcuts so it is a bit 'tall' but beggers can't be choosers.

But, We have news!!! It actually worked and here's the proof! :clapper: :clapper:

I watched the mouse for 10 mins and as described it explored the whole cage to escape but couldn't find the funnel. Weird or what! It went absolutly ballistic when I picked up the cage but still couldn't escape!

post-25189-1254248211.jpg

• 4 months later...