coming out of moult

Guest sharp shooter

Guest sharp shooter

hello all i have a 1 year old male harris and hes just coming out of moult but i was wondering what is the best way to get him onto game, in his first year he did not catch anything he was flew over pheasant but was not bothered

Gradually bring his weight down, take him to where there is a heap of rabbits when he bates let him go. What's his weight now, whats normal flying weight last season, he probably wasn't bothered because he was too high, 7 grams can make the difference between flying and hunting.

Guest sharp shooter

last season his flying weight was 1 pound 5 oz but i havent weighed him yet hes just got a couple of inches on his last tail feather and then i will weigh him. Its my first year so i dont know much but when he comes out of moult do i just do the same as i trained hime when i got him

Bring him down 1/4oz a day, if he was flying and responding but not hunting at 1lb 5oz last year, then considering they normally fly slightly heavier on their second season I would personally aim at 1lb 5oz as a hunting weight.

It seems your bird is about the same weight as mine, so I'd guess he'd start responding at about 1lb 7oz.

There no rush, do the same as last year, getting jumping the length of the leash then onto the creance, don't take any backwards steps, if he doesn't come the distance you expect don't go closer leave him until the next day when he's a bit lower. Good luck.

Bring him down 1/4oz a day, if he was flying and responding but not hunting at 1lb 5oz last year, then considering they normally fly slightly heavier on their second season I would personally aim at 1lb 5oz as a hunting weight.

It seems your bird is about the same weight as mine, so I'd guess he'd start responding at about 1lb 7oz.

There no rush, do the same as last year, getting jumping the length of the leash then onto the creance, don't take any backwards steps, if he doesn't come the distance you expect don't go closer leave him until the next day when he's a bit lower. Good luck.

good advise :yes:

Guest sharp shooter

hi all my bird is just coming out of his first moult but still has two old tail feather should i feed him more so he moults them out or should i just leave him till next year?

All the breeding bird are late which is expected but the none breeders are moulting nice and clean earlier, the diet the same as always so perhaps it the Hot snap we had over the summer which speeded it up, the Hot weather caused me lots of problems in other ways......