low mounted scope and moderator

Hi guys

I have been wondering how a low mounted scope where the lower rim of the objective lens nearly touches the barrel will work with a moderator. How are the experiences there?

the reason I am asking is that I am contemplating a wildcat mod and a Leupold VX-L scope and am wondering whether they'll go together.

thanks

Bernhard

i fitted some medium mounts the other day to my 22/250 scope cap was touching the barrel. i put mod on and couldnt see it in sight picture dont forget when the scope mag is turned up the fov gets smaller any how. so if you cant see the mod on lower scope setting then it will be ok.

i went to high in the end tho as i needed more adjustment on longer range

Hiya.

I have a mk 1 T8 fitted to my 6.5x55 with a 4-16x50 scope mounted on top. The tip of the bell is just 2mm from the barrel. The moderator does not impede the scope at all.

IMHO this has a much to do with the excellent smith work done to fit the mod in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Cernunnos.

one of the german firms brought out such a scope a few years back.concave at the bottom for lowest mounting on rifles( may have been zeiss?)

i saw one at the jagd ang hund( biggest hunting show in germany).i don't think it really took off.or just too expensive.

It sounds to me that the scope spiderpig is talking about is either the leupolds VX3-L or the VX7-L. Both of these lines have been made with a cresent shape on the bottom of the bell to allow for a lower fitting. The view through the scope itself is unchanged i.e. a full circle.

Nice looking scopes I think, but expensive?!

Hope this helps,

Cernunnos.

seen a scope the other day fitted to a 204 cal where the bottom rim of the scope is cut out so it sits around the barrel,looks weird but when you look through it you see a perfect circle?

That is a Leupold and actually exactly what I am looking at. The ones with the cutout are the VX-3L and VX-7L.

It sounds to me that the scope spiderpig is talking about is either the leupolds VX3-L or the VX7-L. Both of these lines have been made with a cresent shape on the bottom of the bell to allow for a lower fitting. The view through the scope itself is unchanged i.e. a full circle.

Nice looking scopes I think, but expensive?!

Hope this helps,

Cernunnos.

VX-3L ain't too bad @ opticsplanet, given the $ exchange rate.

Lordarpad,

Was talking to optics planet just the other day, about getting some custom work done on a scope. They informed me that Leupold does not allow them to sell their scopes i.e. Leupold outside of America??

Still a very nice looking scope thou.

Hope this helps,

Cernunnos.