Retrieving Problem

jas

I would consentrate on the basic's first, get that stop whistle working at distance say about 50-70yds that should do for now (this will need building up to 200yrds over time) and untill your dog stops and sit's everytime and I don't mean stops and slowly puts it's bum on the ground it's bum hit's the ground in a flash I wouldn't move on to hunting as you will need it if you are going to start hunting.

For hunting wait for a day with a good breeze, stand with the wind in your face, walk at a brisk pace to the left or right so the wind is on the side of your face calling the dog as the dog passes you turn and walk to other direction calling the dog as the dog passes turn and walk the other direction etc etc, over time add 2 pips on the whistle after dogs name when the dog has sussed it stop useing the name, remember to go forward as well as sideways or the dog will back cast. ie turn down wind not into the wind.

Phew

I have started doing this though at the moment he treats it as a game and starts barking and jumping up at me every time i turn and blow the 2 pips on the whistle, he gets very excited, and the more i try to stop it the worse he gets, any ideas how to keep him calm whilst trying to teach him to hunt? I've left the retrieving for the time being!

He's still a young puppy don't forget, and thinks your playing even tho your trying to calm him down, this can be really frustrating and make's it hard to keep your cool in this situation but you must. I would seriously consider going back to basic's untill he has grown up a bit, I know they are boring for both of you but they can never be too strong.

Get him by the scruff of the neck and get him sitting.Then tell him in a deep voice so he really knows you mean business.Hold him by the right side and left side of his neck and gently push him back telling him to sit. Try it and let me know cheers.

that would have to be coming from a non vizsla owner..... do that and you will end up with a ruined dog.

Yep you sure would, they need time & patience he needs to know you have some idea, he has an instinct to hunt, point, retrieve hundreds of years breeding & you need to control that, read hpr books get advise from people who train hprs (as you have a viz people who train vizslas they know the dos & donts) in the end you will have a dog who will trust you & want to work with you, at the moment he is giving you the finger as you & he dont know how to work together & its all a game & you have to try & get the excitment level down easy said i know mine is over 2 1/2 & people still say is he a pup ? (he is so bouncy) when i take my boy for a walk we meet up with other dogs he will play run, run, run, play & run some more he loves it most people love me walking on the river as they dont have to walk as far as their dogs are whackd out playing with my boy,

most cannot believe when we get to the end of the river bank he starts work, we come back via fields which he works his way through then a cool down if he hasn't already been in for a swim, ( a warning you do have to watch out as they will carry on & on ) if the weather is to warm nice easy walk & retrieves in the river.

I hope I have not been rude I dont mean to be & hope you get the right advise for your dog

atb

I think I'm just going to hold off and give him more time, I've left it ofr two weeks now. I agree, he is a pup and i probably expexted to much too quick. Though this weekend we went to the beach and he loved retrieving in the water, it wasn't even his ball!! Theres a link to the video of it here, he just did it off his own back.

Then on Sunday I tookj him to a Game and Country fair at Exeter and for fun put him in the novice scurry. I hadn't a clue what this was so watched it, he didn't bat an eyelid at the bangs, and took quite a interest, when it was his turn he went after the dummy like a rocket picked it up, got a quarter way back and stopped for a pee, then came running back! I was well pleased with that. Going to leave it for a few days again now, slowly does it I think. During the fair I was invited to a shoot next saturday, will keep him on a leash but let him just get acclimatised and interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY9Zg4fw7RQ