Right techy question for ya'll

Foxon my good man,

What do you use to clean the part where the valve 'bullet' seats?

I've used tissue paper, pipecleaners etc.

Each time I take the cylinder out of the block, the ventilated cap unscrews and stays inside the blue filter of the block :( Unless I fasten it down very tight.

I have spent so much time pumping this afternoon, I'm knackered :( again I can build the pressure up to about 750psi but then the pump handle begins to raise to the top of the column :( so obviously the air is comming back again! I stripped it again and found more gunk around the brass valve bullet, so my cleaning has not done as good as I had thought.

I have tried and tried to pull the brass assembly from the main column of the pump but it wont shift :(

I screwed it down into the main block, stood on the foot plate and used both arms to pull the column off. Will it be okay for me to heat the tube perhaps? I dont want to damage it.

Speaking of damaging, I dropped the column and it smashed a chunk out of the face plate on the gauge :( How much would one of these cost me to replace?

I'm all but ready to give up on servicing this myself how much do you charge for servicing? I'm loathed to take it to the RFD in Hull and would rather send it down to Cornwall :D

Phantom

Foxon my good man,

What do you use to clean the part where the valve 'bullet' seats?

I've used tissue paper, pipecleaners etc.

Each time I take the cylinder out of the block, the ventilated cap unscrews and stays inside the blue filter of the block :( Unless I fasten it down very tight.

I have spent so much time pumping this afternoon, I'm knackered :( again I can build the pressure up to about 750psi but then the pump handle begins to raise to the top of the column :( so obviously the air is comming back again! I stripped it again and found more gunk around the brass valve bullet, so my cleaning has not done as good as I had thought.

I have tried and tried to pull the brass assembly from the main column of the pump but it wont shift :(

I screwed it down into the main block, stood on the foot plate and used both arms to pull the column off. Will it be okay for me to heat the tube perhaps? I dont want to damage it.

Speaking of damaging, I dropped the column and it smashed a chunk out of the face plate on the gauge :( How much would one of these cost me to replace?

I'm all but ready to give up on servicing this myself how much do you charge for servicing? I'm loathed to take it to the RFD in Hull and would rather send it down to Cornwall :D

Phantom

Hi Phantom,

Sorry to see you getting upset, you have done your best, inside the tubes you will find heaps of build up from moisture, grease, rubber & no doubt metal particles, if you want to send it to me I will overhaul, if the tube is tight do not heat, I will check what it needs, but a good RFD near you should service one of these for less than £30, as for cleaning down the internals I use a solvent like Trico, I know others use thiners but Trico leaves no residue. Have a chat with Ernest Hill Ltd at www.airriflepump.com I bet they would love your story seeing that it's on THL, they might repair it FOC as a Customer realations stunt.

foxon.

Cheers Foxon,

I'll try that route, if not I'll send it to you.

There are only 2 RFD's in Hull and I doubt that either would do it themselves. They would both have to 'send it to the manufacturer' and then charge a hefty premium for doing so.

There is one RFD in South Cave, that I will ring on Monday and see how much he can do it for (or whether he will need to send it off), failing that I will send it to you.

Anyone who volunteers the info and help that you have deserves the trade :yes:

When I asked one of the Hull RFD's about the SMK19 he said he wouldn't allow me to bring one into the shop if it ever needed repair :o

He also told me when I purchased my HW70 had just come from Hull Cartridge after a complete service and was running at just under 6ft/lbs! yeah right, its running at 1.5 ft/lbs! so you can see why I distrust them.

Phantom

Cheers Foxon,

I'll try that route, if not I'll send it to you.

There are only 2 RFD's in Hull and I doubt that either would do it themselves. They would both have to 'send it to the manufacturer' and then charge a hefty premium for doing so.

There is one RFD in South Cave, that I will ring on Monday and see how much he can do it for (or whether he will need to send it off), failing that I will send it to you.

Anyone who volunteers the info and help that you have deserves the trade :yes:

When I asked one of the Hull RFD's about the SMK19 he said he wouldn't allow me to bring one into the shop if it ever needed repair :o

He also told me when I purchased my HW70 had just come from Hull Cartridge after a complete service and was running at just under 6ft/lbs! yeah right, its running at 1.5 ft/lbs! so you can see why I distrust them.

Phantom

Hi Phantom,

That was very kind of you, I know some RFD's have very poor Customer skills, but without Customers they would not be there, as for the SMK 19 I think they are great value for money & easy to work on, they are one gun you can put over the sub without trying, I am very sure John Nash at SMK would be most upset to hear the 19 being rufused a service by an RFD that most proberbly stocks his products... tut tut, maybe he needs to look closer to home with HW70s fresh from service running at rubber band power, gives the trade a bad name. If you do not have any luck locally & you try contacting Hills to no avail by all means I will give the pump an overhaul.

foxon.