Ferreting yesterday

Went out ferreting yesterday with my wee cousin. We were getting ready to go when my wife decided that she wanted to come. So, the three of us jumped into the car, our lurcher Tess was in the back and Jade, our terrier was on my wifes knee. I usualy only take one dog at a time, unless i'm out for a mooch, but if we left Jade on her own she'd have barked from the moment we left tuntill we got home.

We got to the first set, And entered the ferrets. I had Tess by my side and we waited. About fifteen minutes passed when tesses ears popped up. She heard the thumping below ground. A rabbit bolted and Tess managed to pick it up in about fifteen yards. This was her 16th rabbit, and she was a bit reluctant to return it to hand. I don't know if it is because Jade was there or not. She is not the best retriever, but she normaly brings it to within 5 yards of me. Perhaps it's because most of her rabbits have been on the lamp? I don't know.

We settled back down and another rabbit botled, Tess gave a good chase, but it found sanctuary in a near by set. About 20 minutes went by without any sign of one of the ferrets when I heared a hi piched squeel. The ferret killed below ground. Fortunately we only waited another 10 minutes before she poped out again.

We jumped in the car and headed for home. We were only out for just over an hour but it was a very enjoyable hour.

Regards

Minion

good post minion never really just gone out to bolt the rabbits with ferrets for the lurcher done it on the odd sett and its good sport ill have to try it someday. good luck for this coming season mate