I have a JRT bitch pup who I don't particularly want to breed from. My question is will it affect her hunting instinct if I have her spayed.

Her mum is an excellent ratter and I am hoping she will show the same promise. Hope someone has some experience of this matter and can help.

Many thanks Sue.

only spay if you are sure you don't with to breed, there are advantages the bitch wont have seasons so wont be affected during hunting by discomfert or homones, no more mood changes, which can be inconveinent during winter! the down side is if you may find she'l gain weight after the op but regular exercise will keep this in check

hope this helps all the best lurcher lass xxx

If you dont want to breed, spay. It will stop phantom pregnancies, accidental matings, Pyometra and mammary tumours, you will also be able to work her all year round without the worry of her being in season.

Personal choice, I wouldnt spay as a matter of course, but if I didnt want to breed and I wanted to work a dog all year round, I probably would.

If you are desperate of not breeding her than spaying is the best solution - and as Dawn B wrote, not only because of the heat itself.

The one and only thing against spaying is that it is non reversable. And you may regret at the age of 5 years...or whenever.

Whatever you decide, I would not spay her before the age of cca 9-12 months.

You have time to think until then. ;)

I have spayed and neutered quite some dogs which didn't make the grade, I think life is much easyer with a spayed/neutered dog.

ATB,

Anna