looking for a 4x4

im looking for a 4x4 i have about 3 to 4 grand to spend and i want the newest one possible for my money it will be used as an every day car as well as hunting and off roading so it will need to be comfy could somone give me some advice on what to get i need the best mpg poss as well and what sort of reg am i looking at i need a really reliable 4x4 that is going to last

Edited by dso88

Landrover Defender 90 (pick up) R plate (1997) Mileage 139K - 11 months road tax MPG 27 - 30

Diff lock Low and high ratio all working perfectly, goes in and stays in, no jumping out.

fitted with Ifor Williams canopy (powder coated green) Door on the canopy is solid with small window in

16 inch alloy wheels with greenway macho mud terrain tyres 235/85/16 ( plenty tread on them) also i have four as new tyres of the same make, size and pattern which may be included in the sale if i get price i want.

Steel spare wheel fitted with new BFG all terrain 235/85/16

Rear tub fitted with steel tree sliders to help protect bodywork and Heavy Duty Jackable tree sliders fitted

Full Stainless Steel exhaust (1yr old)

New wheel bearings, CV joints, seals and grease packs. UJ joints replaced greased every month. Rear shock mounts and rubbers changed all fitted with stainless steel nuts and bolts

Engine bay - new heater glow plugs fitted and fuel lines.

internal rear - Floor has been raised to accomodate the spare wheel and space for tool kit spades etc. this has leveled the floor out above the wheel arch height giving maximum load space in the rear plenty room for all the shooting kit and dogs there is also a work light fitted and a large shelf which takes three guns in slips.

This motor has had a lot of money spent on it to bring it up to a very good standard it has had oil and filter changes done twice a year. Starts on the button every time.

Lamp and internal handle is also included in the sale this has recently just been fitted. Always used with the filter on it so the lense is in perfect condition (foggy condition filter)

Interior is good condition fitted with washable seat covers, 3 seats with belts.

Price £5300.00 ono

post-9245-1251314890.jpg

Edited by JDFrain

Landrover/Range Rover as far as I am aware are the best for off road.

Why not have a look around auto trader at the landy's or try toyota hilux, nissan navara or mitsubishi L200. Toyota's are a bit more expensive but you can pick a Nissan or Mitsubishi on maybe a 2003/2004 plate for £4000-£5000.

I needed a daytime vehicle too as well as something to put the dogs in and move hay and straw about in all conditions so I opted for the Mitsubishi L200 Warrior, I've had it 2 and half years now and not had a problem. 2 wheel drive for around the doors, hi/low 4x4 and diff lock. Good luck in your search :thumbs: .

Car1.jpg

anybody now what shoguns pajeros and fourtraks are like off road

I've had very little trouble with mine (touching wood) As a day car its an absolute treat to drive, a bit like driving your favourite arm chair lol

Off road I’ve not managed to get it stuck yet and taken it through some places in 2 wheel drive where others have had to engage 4x4 mode. That said, because it is also my day car, I’ve not taken it into extreme places as I really can’t afford to break it but its done some pretty tough terrain without any problems.

One negative is the placing of the alternator, a really stupid place to put it, if you envisage doing any deep water fording, there’s a waterproofing kit available somewhere, make sure you get one or you’ll fry the alternator and boy is that a costly exercise, took my local garage 6 hours to do the job, luckily they’d quoted me for two and had to honour the quote. Some of the extreme boys make up new brackets n pulleys and actually move the alternator to the top of the engine, check out the Pajero owners club site pocuk.com I think.

I would also advise to get a diesel, each to their own I guess but I prefer them, easier to work on and cheaper to run, especially if like me, you make your own bio-diesel, 7ppl is better that 106ppl but that’s a whole different topic.

I’ve had Lannies in the past and have no problem with em, a damned fine workhorse, I’ve also had a Fourtrack and a Suzuki but I have to say out of all of the 4x4’s I’ve driven the Paj remains my favourite all round vehicle for day to day driving and pleasure/work driving.

Oh and one last thought, now really is the time to buy a Paj, or any 4x4 come to that but with fuel prices being what they are, the recession and the new road tax increase (get a pre 2000 reg to avoid this) its a buyers market out there.

HTH

All the best

Jo

unless you have loads of cash I would steer clear of range rovers or discos- yes some folks will say " oh but mine is fine" but when i used to do a bit of work for a 4x4 dealer they would not give their own warranty for them- they had been burnt many many times with horrendous claims for them.Instead they purchased a seperate warranty insurance policy for them, but for everything else they did their own warranty- i think that says alot.But saying that they had a lot of time for defenders- especially the tdi versions- they felt there was to many gremlins on the td5 and its electronics.

do not touch a 3.0td trooper- the engines have terrible realibility issues- the 3.1 older model is far better- but they are probably to old now for what you want.

four traks, shoguns,pajeros,cruisers,patrols are all superb- the fourtrak is probably the most utility -but still superb. Patrols and cruisers (especially the amazon) are massive and probably to big for most folks needs- but all you have to do is see what vehicles the guys have in places where relaibility and real off road ability is a life and death issue like africa ,australia and the middle east- you hardy ever see land rover product- i think that says alot!!

a 4x4 is only as good off road as its driver and its tyres!!

i bought a daihatsu feildman needed a new exhaust system £200 new tyres genral grabbers £435 fitted it is worth every penny no getting stuck good on diesel full towpack 12 mths mot 6 mths tax well happy post-25936-1252173641.jpg cost me £720 on fleabay and its a 97 plenty of grunt thats for sure.atb noel