sako 85 stainless laminated 20 inch barrel 1-8 twist

can anyone recommend an accurate hunting bullet with a heavy grain?

I presume its .223, and your quarry will be foxes? My tikka with a 1-8 twist will shoot 40gr federal ballistic tips very well. Heavier bullets will drop too quick at extended range and will overpenetrate. The 64 grain federal soft point is aslo an accurate round I find.

I presume its .223, and your quarry will be foxes? My tikka with a 1-8 twist will shoot 40gr federal ballistic tips very well. Heavier bullets will drop too quick at extended range and will overpenetrate. The 64 grain federal soft point is aslo an accurate round I find.

Hi Jonty, what do you consider to be extended range? We've tried a lot of different bullets in Deker's Tikka, which is also 1:8, they all work well.

The light bullets run out of puff very quickly, so for the extended ranges I would use something a bit heavy and dial in - it will be much more accurate due to the better ballistics meaning you buck the wind considerably better.

I would load 40s, 50s, 55s, and 60s and see which works best. My preference is the 50gr, but that's in my CZ which is 1:12. It's incredibly accurate..,

Hi Jonty, what do you consider to be extended range? We've tried a lot of different bullets in Deker's Tikka, which is also 1:8, they all work well.

The light bullets run out of puff very quickly, so for the extended ranges I would use something a bit heavy and dial in - it will be much more accurate due to the better ballistics meaning you buck the wind considerably better.

I would load 40s, 50s, 55s, and 60s and see which works best. My preference is the 50gr, but that's in my CZ which is 1:12. It's incredibly accurate..,

incredibly accurate?

Generally a ragged hole at 100 yards. Certainly with pretty rapid shooting it was 9/10 in the vbull at 200 yards at Bisley the other weekend, and the one that missed was coz of the berk behind the trigger :D

Load is 24.5gr N130 with 50gr Sierra Blitzking, col 2.25 IIRC.