wont retreive

i have a 2yr old GSP bitch, i take her rough shooting and beating during the season.

but she will not pick anything up and bring it to me...

when i throw a tennis ball she just ignores it....the same with a dummy

when i throw game for her she will run to it..sniff it..and then come back...

what can i do to get her retreiving???

any help will be much appreciated

cheers

i have a 2yr old GSP bitch, i take her rough shooting and beating during the season.

but she will not pick anything up and bring it to me...

when i throw a tennis ball she just ignores it....the same with a dummy

when i throw game for her she will run to it..sniff it..and then come back...

what can i do to get her retreiving???

any help will be much appreciated

cheers

Try getting the dog to carry a meaty bone when on a lead- periodically stop- get it to give you the bone and give it a titbit in return every time. Progress to throwing the bone in an enclosed space and get it to give it to you -again reward it. Just build from there.

versatile dogs don't always share the strong inbuilt desire to retrieve as much as a lab or spaniel.

some have an easy road becoming reliable but alot need the training to become bring out the best.

most european bred shorthairs are force fetched trained the same as the wirehairs.

Had the same problem with one my GSP's about 5 years ago, got round it by not trying any retriving at all for about a year, then got a big catapulte and a tennis ball and fired the ball down a hill letting the dog chase it (you can stop her running in/chasing later on) wind her up a bit first, dont worry about her delivery if she brings it back. If she does bring it back stop there and don't do it again for a couple of days.

I then got a dummy launcher and fired it over hedges etc to make the dog work for it, it took sometime to get to this stage but you know your dog better than anybody, my problem was caused by me doing far to many retrives when the dog was younger and he got fed up with it, you can also have this problem if you do to much hunting, as they will always prefer to hunt.

Good Luck

Had the same problem with one my GSP's about 5 years ago, got round it by not trying any retriving at all for about a year, then got a big catapulte and a tennis ball and fired the ball down a hill letting the dog chase it (you can stop her running in/chasing later on) wind her up a bit first, dont worry about her delivery if she brings it back. If she does bring it back stop there and don't do it again for a couple of days.

I then got a dummy launcher and fired it over hedges etc to make the dog work for it, it took sometime to get to this stage but you know your dog better than anybody, my problem was caused by me doing far to many retrives when the dog was younger and he got fed up with it, you can also have this problem if you do to much hunting, as they will always prefer to hunt.

Good Luck

great response, over doing the retrieve when dog is younger really does spoil, less is definitely more, I have learnt that the hard way also.

i know a guy who breeds gshp. he only teaches zwangs apport( forced retrieve) its not pretty.

it works but i have the opinion that a dog should work WITH you and not FOR you.

i've only trained terriers,teckel and a lab x pointer cross. but have always started with a duck/pidgeon wing on a rod with around six feet of string( preferably not too thin as it cuts) make the dog hot for it and play. gradually make it harder to get and insist that he holds it when he does ( if need be put it back in his mouth). sit him take it out and praise ( bribe :yes: )

if broken to water and confident try to start the retrieve there. most dogs will get game out of water in my experiance. once again make it a game and praise.

does she show an otherwise healthy drive to game? ( bushing, finding)

recall ok?

my terrier bitch went off retrieving for as while( a riddle to me) untill i heard my mrs telling her off for bringing a rat into the stables( she had killed and retrieved it. only put me back a few days but annoying all the same.

atb with the dog and good luck.

cheers

thanks for all the replies...i think i will keep going with the tennis ball and then progress to larger thigs..

waidmann, yes she is very keen and has great scenting abilities, she is good at the recall

cheers

ive got a 3year old pointer X lab bitch ,she will hunt all day ,steady with the flush but she will not retrieve, tried loads of systems shes just not intrested. put her on a prcked deer she will find it anywhere & stay with it but she will not retrieve game.shes verry keen on working & flushing,