crows comuppence

Guest hyperion

Guest hyperion

after missing two crows the other day i was itching to get back down the farm and have a go at the little ambush point id found when i was up there last time, i had meant to be up there before first light but after playing pub cricket on sunday i lost count of the jugs of pimms after number twelve and didnt crawl out of my pit until gone nine this morning!

after a few cups of coffee and a good lunch i finally set off for the farm at half one, id forgotten how far a mile and a half feels when your loaded up with gun, rucksack ect plus a slight hangover, there where plenty of crows on the silage clamp when i arrived but i ignored them for the time being and went to drop my gear in the old hay bard before having a look round the yard for a bonus rat!

nothing showed round the yard and i could hear the crows making a row round the back so i went to get camo'd up and headed for the trees by the pig pen!

DSC01496.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

and there i sat and i waited and i sat and i waited and i smoked and i waited and i sat and after a while got bored and ditched the coat ect and went to take some pics of the pigs and piglets

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

and then i waited some more!, them crows aint daft and i knew they knew i was still there, they had seen me walk into the trees but not leave and there was no way they were comming in until the coast was clear!

so i spent a quiet couple of hours watching the small birds working the trees around me for insects and listening to the piglets playing, i was even joined by a spotted woodpecker for a while, but the only time i got to raise the gun to my shoulder was when a woodpigeon landed directly above my head as i was moving from the cover of one tree trunk to another leaving me little choice but to try for a leaning over backwards over head shot which i missed by a good country mile!

so after that i settled down at the base of a big oak a little way from my ambush point to wait for gareth to start loading up the keenan ready to feed up before milking time, i knew id get a chance after gareth had been busy round the silage clamp as with a bit of luck the crows would think that after he had gone so had the danger, sure enough half three rolled around and gareth came to load up and do the feed rounds!

i was already getting my gloves ect on as gareth dropped off the loader and walked back to pull the keenan up into the milking yard and i could see a few crows dropping in onto the roof of the cow shed, as he drove of i made my way back to my ambush point checking the trees above me as i went and in seconds i was lining up my first crow, PING the pellet struck a branch and the crow was gone by the time i had another pellet loaded!

i made it back to my position and waited, crows filled the sky around me, dropping into the silage clamp in ones and twos then whole bunches of them!

DSC01491.jpg

then all of a sudden the tree above me was full of crows, gun into shoulder and i lined up the first one and WHOP down he went with a pellet in his head, i gave the under lever of the phoenix a quick shuck and lined up a screaming crow on the branch above where the first had fallen, THWOP a pellet in his chest sent him plunging earthwards and i work the underlever again as the whole mob of crows lifted at the second shot before swirling round to settle back in the tree to caw and scream at the two on the ground, i lined up on the first crow i saw and CRACK another plunged down, falling like a bundle of rags out of the tree as the mass of crows lifted off and flew for safety!

as my breathing slowed down i realised id just shot three crows in under a minute, i checked the trees around me then after a few minutes went to pick up the fallen, then after half an hour with no action i headed back to the old hay barn for a drink and a couple of pics of the bag so far

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

after checking the yard for rats i went back to the trees and soon added crows number four and five to the bag, though number five fell into the pig pen and was soon made short work of by one of the sows, by now it was getting on for six and i still hadnt shot a rat so back to the yard i went and sure enough after a short wait at the feed bins out waddled a sleek well grown rat and next thing you know WHAP my pellet smashed into him!

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

not long after i nailed another in the calf pens but as the calfs in there have ring worm i wasnt going in to get either the rat or a picture!

a quick check round the other side of the yard showed me the drey id noticed a few weeks ago was still in use, new leaves have been added to it since i was last up here so ill be having words with the owner soon enough i think!

DSC01512.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

as i made my way back round to the front of the yard it started to rain again so i decided to pack up and head for home and my dinner!

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

not a bad afternoon in all and ill be back up there stupidly early in the next few days now ive got my eye in!

cheers

hyperion

Edited by hyperion