UPSET JILL

Alright guys Meikle here, just joined the site n just getting back into ferreting after a few years of doing alot of wildfowling wondering if any of you had had any of your ferrets get upset by new arrivals. What the problem is is that I got ma first poley jill about 3/4 months ago at the age of 9months and she was good as gold never bit once or even offered then i got another a month or so later an albino jill at 3 years n they got on fine. Now i've just got 3 8week old kits on tuesday night the albino just mothers them but the poley is totally out of sorts she's started biting n guards her nest box apricate some advice.

Cheers Meikle

Cheers FK, I thought that would be case, thought she would be alright with me though coz she has a right go at my fingers whenever i open the cage n she's totally not intrested in playing around with the others just sits in the corner sulking.

Alright guys Meikle here, just joined the site n just getting back into ferreting after a few years of doing alot of wildfowling wondering if any of you had had any of your ferrets get upset by new arrivals. What the problem is is that I got ma first poley jill about 3/4 months ago at the age of 9months and she was good as gold never bit once or even offered then i got another a month or so later an albino jill at 3 years n they got on fine. Now i've just got 3 8week old kits on tuesday night the albino just mothers them but the poley is totally out of sorts she's started biting n guards her nest box apricate some advice.

Cheers Meikle

Has the poley jill been brought out of season this year, either vacectomised hob, jill jab or litter ?

I’m from just beside Ellon Jock I take it your a north east lad as well,

The jill came into season early on ferret love and I got her the jab that was before I got the albino I thought it might be because the poley has never had young herself and she's not quite sure what to think of them coz the albino has certainly had litters in the past and she just mothers them, hopefully she will come round though.

I’m from just beside Ellon Jock I take it your a north east lad as well,

The jill came into season early on ferret love and I got her the jab that was before I got the albino I thought it might be because the poley has never had young herself and she's not quite sure what to think of them coz the albino has certainly had litters in the past and she just mothers them, hopefully she will come round though.

The reason i asked about the poley being brought out of season was because i thought it may be hormonal behavour, if she was jabbed she could be having a phantom pregnancy as she is guarding the nesting box, the poley & the albino jills probably have a mutual respect for each other, but kits being kits need to be schooled by the adults as to whats acceptable & not within the group you have.

I think as long as she isnt in kill mode i would just watch the behaviour & act accordingly, if you need to move her out then do so, i personally wouldnt let it get to the point where they are all snapping at each other, that just means 4 unhappy fearfull ferrets who may never mix again if you try to introduce a newbie in the future.

hope this helps a bit

Cheers Ferretlove il keep an eye on them.

We have some land between winnyfold and colliston Jock and right along the dunes between Newburgh and menie but im not sure how long that’ll last with Trump building the golf course at menie. No we haven’t got dogs my mate got rid of his lurcher 3 years ago cos we stopped ferreting the worst thing he ever done he's on about getting another dog next year now we've started again. Do you work the dog’s chief.

hiya mate,aye i ysed too but i lost both off mine this year one to old age and one to cancer,i used to ferret a place called hatterseat just beside mennie and do a bit of beating at mennie ,but they have changed the keeper there a few years ago so i havnae been back for a while.is there still as many rabbits in the dunes when we were beating we used to see loads

We only got on that piece of land just at the end o last season so haven’t had the ferrets up yet, just been up lamping and walking it through wi the gun but from what I’ve seen I don’t fancy putting the ferrets down some of the holes directly on the dunes. There are a lot of big warrens on the edge of the boundary fields so we’ll start on working them. We have close on 900acres so shouldn’t be hard to find other big warrens off the sand, not keen on digging a ever back filling hole in sand.

the ones on the field edge seem easier cause the grass roots hold it together better,less fall ins when your walking on them,you should have a good season out there but i know what you mean digging in sand it seems like you take one shovel full out and another falls in,isthere any young ferrets on the go out by you i might be looking for a couple of jills