How do you get a permission when 14?

Hi,

I'm fourteen and recently persuaded my parents to let me get an air rifle (about two months ago), thing is though, my family aren't antis as such but they have never hunted ... so I have no permissions. In your experiences, would farmers actually let a fourteen year old be the shooter? 'Cause lawfully I would need my dad to come with me whilst shooting but I really doubt I could get him to do the talking...

And yeah, I've read quite a lot about getting permissions, shooting rabbits and the like, but at the moment I don't know anyone who owns land and my main hope is to tag along with some people from the local shooting club.

Any tips? Or anyone relatively local to south Oxfordshire willing to take out a noob? Oh, and if it helps I do look more like 16 :)

Guest traceyg
Hi,

I'm fourteen and recently persuaded my parents to let me get an air rifle (about two months ago), thing is though, my family aren't antis as such but they have never hunted ... so I have no permissions. In your experiences, would farmers actually let a fourteen year old be the shooter? 'Cause lawfully I would need my dad to come with me whilst shooting but I really doubt I could get him to do the talking...

And yeah, I've read quite a lot about getting permissions, shooting rabbits and the like, but at the moment I don't know anyone who owns land and my main hope is to tag along with some people from the local shooting club.

Any tips? Or anyone relatively local to south Oxfordshire willing to take out a noob? Oh, and if it helps I do look more like 16 :)

Ask on the site or any friends you have who shoots to let you tag along .All ways respect the land and pay attention to the person willing to teach you ;) Thats the advise i give my fourteen year old lad :blink: Good luck and never give up

Hi,

That would suck. I live in Australia and im only 15 and all up all the places i get to hunt on would be bout 17,000 acres

That would suck. I live in Australia and im only 15 and all up all the places i get to hunt on would be bout 17,000 acres

Meh. I'm constantly wishing my family had emigrated to Australia...but I would prefer New Zealand :D.

Thanks for the advice guys, I recently had a look round what shall be my first potential shoot: the owner is currently trying to sell it, plenty of rabbits, no footpaths, very little use but a good reason to cull the rabbits (plenty of crop fields around). But I'm going on a week long school trip next week (woodlands if anyone has heard of it) so I'm going to give the owner a letter when I get back, then try to have a chat and be very persuasive :)

Thank Pandora for Hope :D

Edit: I don't suppose anyone has such a letter (explaining rabbit damage, the easiness of culling them, and enticing the recipient to agree)?

Edited by othickman

Google rabbit damage in the Uk they cause about 5million pound of damage currently, I have a letter somewhere and will look for it. I will pm you when I find it.

Is there no-one on the site willing to help this young Lad?????????

Meh. I'm constantly wishing my family had emigrated to Australia...but I would prefer New Zealand :D.

Thanks for the advice guys, I recently had a look round what shall be my first potential shoot: the owner is currently trying to sell it, plenty of rabbits, no footpaths, very little use but a good reason to cull the rabbits (plenty of crop fields around). But I'm going on a week long school trip next week (woodlands if anyone has heard of it) so I'm going to give the owner a letter when I get back, then try to have a chat and be very persuasive :)

Thank Pandora for Hope :D

Edit: I don't suppose anyone has such a letter (explaining rabbit damage, the easiness of culling them, and enticing the recipient to agree)?

Yea, my Nan and Pop both came from england.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say get yourself beating, you'll meet lots of people who all shoot and hunt. if you can tag along with one of them just to learn the ropes then continue to offer your hand to the odd job any farmer has all goes to helping your cause

pubs or nobs and a few seasons beating. you may get a beaters day at the end of the season and you should def get some cash in your pocket, you will build up some friends and useful contacts. its a waiting game often chap. 4 years for my first permission so you def need to stick at it.

edited to add the keeper bmay take you out lamping if you keep your head down are relaible and help out with things like pen repairs during the summer

Edited by Lurchandhistribe