Carrion crow or rook

Is it true a young rook looks like a carrion crow?? Was out crow shooting for a farmer yesterday and shot what look like carrion crow in amongst rooks my mate reckons they are young rooks????

Yes young rooks are all black like a hoddie/carrion crow. The beak changes & they get the metalic colour once they mature.

They are identical right through the summer the only differance is the third primary feather on there wings

Whats the carrion crows primary feather like? I think its young rooks i been shooting

If they were with adult rooks then the chancers are yes

A young rook has a hairy beak like a carrion crow but on closer inspection it is no way near as strong. You will be able to bend it easily and they usually have a yellow lining on the inside when they are straight off the nest. A Carrion Crow is a much bigger bird and blacker feathers than a young rook.

An adult rook has the purple incandescent to it's feathers a carrion crow doesn't.

Mark.

Is it true a young rook looks like a carrion crow?? Was out crow shooting for a farmer yesterday and shot what look like carrion crow in amongst rooks my mate reckons they are young rooks????

Blast em out of the skys :clapper: so you can have a closer look!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Blast em out of the skys :clapper: so you can have a closer look!!!!!!!

Dont worry i have been they were rooks id rather hit the corbys i hate them things loads in the town i stay aswell :angry: